• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

cargo jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got a few times more time than thee, plus an A'n'P. But still no cargo jobs for mee.

(should I also put my rhyming skills on my resume?)

Seriously, you really need IFR 135 minimums to be freight dogging it up, you've a ways to go yet (as do I).

Dan

Seems like there is the odd VFR 135 job out there (min is only 500 hours). More of them out west I imagine. VFR 135 sounds pretty shady to me ...

VFR 135 is not shady, companys are shady. there are good ones and bad ones, it has nothing to do with what regs they fly under.

'Shady' minimums: see FAR 135.243(b)
'Non-shady' minimums: FAR 135.243(c)
'Real' minimums: Too dayum tall for this short-timer.

I like to practice hauling freight with students. They screw up and they're gonna bleed! Talk about some good hazmat experience!

If you want to start flying for a part 135 carrier, start building real time. If you're short on total time, you need to try and get a right seat on anything(prefferably turboprop) and build time that way. Instructing time is gonna get you instructing jobs.

Time....

If you want to start flying for a part 135 carrier, start building real time. If you're short on total time, you need to try and get a right seat on anything(prefferably turboprop) and build time that way. Instructing time is gonna get you instructing jobs.

I am going to have to disagree with this...since alot of the people I know that are flying for Part 135 carriers have came from instructing backgrounds....including me. Build time anyway you can. Instructing may not pay the greatest...but time is time.

All part 135 carriers like Airnet care about is meeting IFR 135 mins, and multi (most 100 - 200 hr). Since about the only job you can get before that is instructing then what is wrong with being an instructor? I will go out on a limb (I am sure some here has the actual data) and estimate that 80 percent of the civilian trained pilots were instructors for the first part of their career (myself included). Instructing didnt hamper our careers. The lack of instructing early on could hurt an applicant in the eyes of some interviewers.
my .02 dollars
usc

instructing is to pilots what 20hr duty days are to new doctors.

suck it up and instruct. you will learn a ton and hopefully have a good time.

If you approach instructing thinking it's just a way to build time....don't bother! You need to understand that there's still a lot to learn and teaching is one of the best ways to learn. You'll not only build your own experience but meet people that could help you later in life. When you are an instructor, that's your career at the present time....take it seriously.

Latest resources

Back