Career question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cargo69

Maybe this is a dumb question but i'll ask anyway. I want to eventually end up at fed ex, ups, Dhl, cargo companies. Is it better to try and get on with the airlines, or go with a cargo company such as Air Cargo Carriers that flies feeder routes for the big cargo companies. any advice would be appreciated

I would start by looking at the minimum requirements listed on their web sites and start trying to meet those. One thing you will notice is most places require 1000 turbine/jet PIC time. Try to get yourself to a commuter or somewhere you can upgrade to the left seat and build that time. The more of it the better.

They usually hire people from all different backgrounds, so I wouldn't worry too much about what company you go to for the time building.

On-demand the way to go

Go the cargo on-demand route, you will get TJ time, better pay than the RJ's, and you will really learn what it takes to keep a trip running often with very little support. Upgrade will come quicker and after doing this for 2-4 yrs you will have tons of options. It would also put you in position to take advantage of the coming 2007 hiring boom. Plus no one could accuse you of falling for the SJS. As for FedEx mostly military, and UPS internal recommendation. Both are tuff places to get into.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Go the cargo on-demand route, you will get TJ time, better pay than the RJ's, and you will really learn what it takes to keep a trip running often with very little support. Upgrade will come quicker and after doing this for 2-4 yrs you will have tons of options. It would also put you in position to take advantage of the coming 2007 hiring boom. Plus no one could accuse you of falling for the SJS. As for FedEx mostly military, and UPS internal recommendation. Both are tuff places to get into.

isn't it funny how things change. Pre 9/11 FedEx, UPS and southwest were the places that were way down on the list for most pilots. The oldline Majors were the place to be. I know a guy that went from Fed ex to US Airways in 99 because he didn't like flying at night, doh!

In 2000 just as I was starting flight training I had a fed-ex pilot, that is a friend of a friend, tell me that if I could hurry and build 1500 hrs in ANYTHING he could get me an interview and probably a job. They were hurting to fill classes. This is a crazy job in a crazy world. Who knows, if the passenger airlines pick-up hiring, in a few years maybe it will be a walk-in then too.-kingaira90 We can hope!

pilotyip said:

Pilotyip-

Penny for your thoughts...
What are your predictions of a hiring boom occuring in 2007 based upon. You've stated it in a few posts.
Which sectors and what's driving it.

8's and 3's

Years ending in 8 always have good hiring, years ending in 3 don't. It is a trend that has been going on for over forty years. I have watched most of it first hand. There is an expereinced pilot shortage developing right now, look at some of the signs like the regionals have redefined their competitive minimums, and are hring Captains the street. Expereniced pilots will not take those entry level jobs. The number of pilots hired this year is largest since 2001. I don't know anyone having trouble finding a job, a good job might be something else, but there are lots of jobs outthere.

Last edited:
Are there any good cargo outfits that dont need part 135 mins ?..After working on the ramp in college for the regionals ...I would totally rather do some real flying for a cargo company in a turbo prop ,then get stuck i the right seat of a Crj pushing buttons and living on ramen.

Kalitta 135 hires into the right seat of LJ and DA's without 135 mins, so does Superior. I would bet places like Royal, Air Cargo Masters, do the same thing.

For the guy who wants to get into freight without 135 mins:

If you get lucky, you can get into the right seat of a larger turboprop freighter. Something like a CASA, Shorts, Convair, etc. could work out for you. You can also do the pistion twin to multi-turbine route, which gives you a lot of PIC time. Either way, you have options available, and don't let a sense of desperation convince you that you need to buy a job or pay for training.

Latest resources

Back