Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MercuryPilot

Go NAVY! Beat Army!
I'm looking for input as I prepare for the next step in my military aviation career. My question is whether I should submit a package for Navy VR TAR or pursue opportunities w/a C-17 AF Reserve unit in my home state. I would really appreciate hearing some pros/cons for each if anyone has had a similar dilema. Cutting all ties w/military aviation is not an option.

One of the big differences will be that w/VR TAR there is no guarantee of platform or location. I would however get to "stay Navy." Transferring into the AF Reserves has it's perks w/a great a/c and certainly great quality of life. Either way I would take the 3 or 5 year bonus. I'll have between 9 and 10 years of active duty logged when I finish this tour.

MercuryPilot said:
submit a package for Navy VR TAR or pursue opportunities w/a C-17 AF Reserve unit in my home state

That's an easy one. Do both. These days there is no guarantee you'll get either one. If you get accepted into both, THEN you have a decision to make.

AF reserve units that are co-located with active duty units are usually pretty tough to get into due to the continuous supply of guys who are already IP qualified in the aircraft coming over from the active side. If you do get picked up by a C-17 unit you'll probably still have to wait a while for a full-time slot, they're pretty competitive.

You'd have a much better chance getting picked up for a reserve/guard unit if you widen your choice of platforms some. There are tons of KC-135 and C-130 units out there that are hiring.

Good luck.

MercuryPilot said:
Either way I would take the 3 or 5 year bonus.

Mercury,

Are you being offered an ART job in the C-17 Reserves or a ANG position with the Jackson ANG?

If it's the USAFRs, are you sure they offer a 3 year bonus?

I thought the 3 year bonus was only available to the Active folks.

Just curious.

Yahtz

At least in my unit, AGRs are eligible for bonuses. A furloughed buddy (DAL) went ahead and signed his 5 year committment. The extra money took some of the sting out of being active duty again, but I think in a perfect world he'd rather just have his old job back.

ARTs vs AGRs

Albie,

I know there is a 5 year bonus for AGRs, but I'm not sure you can get a 3 year bonus as an AGR.

The only bases I've heard of with ARG positions within USAFRs units are the USAF AETC bases (Luke, Tyndall, & all the SUPT bases). I know for a fact that Luke AFB as both AGR positions and ART positions, as one of my old college roommates is flying 16s there.

I'm also pretty sure (not 100% sure) ACC and AMC USAFR units do not have AGR pilot positions, only ART positions. (ie, the New Orleans JRB A-10s do not have any AGR positions.) I believe this is also true for the C-17 USAFRs...no AGRs as pilots, only ARTs.

I don't know any F-15 or F-16 ACC USAFRs pilots, so I can't speak to ACC reserve units.

Your guess is as good as mine why only AETC bases seem to use the AGR positions within the USAFRs.

If anyone has better info, please let us know.

Thanks,

Yahtz

Navy VR TAR vs AF Reserve

Wow, lot's of posts this afternoon. Here goes, Navy VR TAR is obviously an active duty reserve position, not a SELRES spot. This puts you in the window for the bonus which is a completely separate message/issue than the Navy active duty bonus. However, it would be highly unlikely that if you put in your paper work you would be denied.

As far as the AF Reserve avenue I would graciously accept a part time or full time position. I flew heavies as an instructor and evaluator for the Navy and have some contacts in C-17s who have led me to believe I might have a decent chance breaking into the communtiy in a reserve capacity.-Especially in my home state where I still have plenty of ties. These days I don't think it would be smart to not at least explore opportunities in our sister service. As far as the active duty reserve bonus goes in the AF I won't pretend to have all the answers. However, I would be a little suprised if it differed greatly from the Navy TAR bonus. The point is, I wouldn't mind committing to an active duty reserve unit (in either service) for 3 or 5 years (in accordance w/the bonus) in light of the current civilian pilot job market. At least it would give the civilian sector a chance to settle down.

Back to my original question, what do the more experienced folks out there think about Navy VR TAR vs trying break into the AF Reserves?

Re: Navy VR TAR vs AF Reserve

MercuryPilot said:
Back to my original question, what do the more experienced folks out there think about Navy VR TAR vs trying break into the AF Reserves?

Mercury,

What I was trying to tell you is before you jump ship to the AF Reserves, be very aware the chance of your signing a 3 year bonus (if this even exists) or 5 year bonus in a C-17 is slim right now.

You made the comment "Either way I would take the 3 or 5 year bonus." Trust me, the ART jobs are full in Charleston. I'm guessing the same goes for McChord.

I didn't mean to insult you in any way, but just wanted you to have the facts before making any decisions.

Best wishes!

Yahtz

Back to VR TAR vs AF Reserve question

I'm going to try to move this thread back in the direction I was hoping it would go. What I'm most interested in hearing is whether Navy pilots / former Navy pilots have any strong feelings about the decision they made to go VR TAR or AF Reserve. I would especially like to hear from anyone who wishes they had gone the other route (and why).

OK, I'll take another stab at it. The AF reserve/ANG is a great deal for any Navy guy. You flew the T-1, so you know what the AF regs are like. That's about the only disadvantage I can see. Going TAR you're still subject to the Navy's detailers and their plans for your life. You have better locations to choose from (for VR, anyway), but most of the stuff you didn't like in TACAMO will still be there.

Have you visited the C-17 units you're thinking about joining? My C-17 buds told me I had a decent chance of getting on with the C-17 reserves in my hometown, too. But when I visited the reserve squadron commanders they simply explained that they could usually fill their slots with the guys from the active duty side that they've already been flying with. Of course, that was a couple years ago but I doubt it's gotten much easier since 9/11.

I'd say go AF reserve or guard, but look at other units just in case the C-17 job doesn't work out.

Just so you know where I'm coming from- while flying with the AF the last three years I talked to/visited about 10 reserve and guard units, was hired by three, and I'm currently waiting for my paperwork to go through to fly C-130J's with the ANG. Eventually I'll have an airline and a guard job within 30 minutes of my home- that's the only way to go!

Good luck.

Mercury,

I was a VR C-130 TAR and here are the pros and cons in my opinion (Disclaimer: I like flying and hate deskwork, so it is from that perspective which I write):

Pros:

1. You get to fly a lot. I averaged over 400 hours/yr.

2. You won't deploy or 6 months.

3. You don't deal with as much BS as you did in the regnav. . . however you write evals, point papers, and other things most of us hated about regnav.

4. You will do a minimum of 2 flying tours before your chance at OIC.

Cons:

1. Your ground jobs are just like those in your JO tour (Asst. Admin, QAO etc.)

2. TARs do virtually all the real groundwork, SELRES usually just show up to fly and do very little else.

3. You still are subject to the whims of the detailer (think staff job in New Orleans if you are mid pack).

Bottom line: I enjoyed TAR 100X more than REGNAV. I would recommend it to anyone. However, I know nothing about the AFRES/ANG, but if you can be a full timer over there and only fly, rather than pushing mindless BS deskwork, take it.

Latest resources

Back