Career change regional to ATC???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cptn2b

I have some questions about ATC jobs for those who care to reply. I am an FO at a regional and I am looking to get out due to the unstable nature of the industry. My wife and I would also like to move back to Oklahoma City where we are from. 1. What qualifications do you need to get an ATC job and how do you begin the process? 2. What kind of days off per week/month do you get and what kind of shifts will you work at first? 3. How much vacation time? 4. If I am wanting to live in OKC how much say do I have about where I live and how are the "positions" allocated? 5. What kind of starting pay does this offer and how fast does it move up? Thanks

One of our pilots just made the switch (do to lossing FAA medical) I can tell you, it's a very long wait. application to training is about 2 years right now. You put down you top 10 choices were you want to go and wait for a offer. We pulled some strings and got him were he lives. Good luck.

My wife has been trying to get on as an ATCer since the first nationwide application window on 2/15/08. There have been numerous application windows since, opening about once a month. There are no minimum experience requirements other than a 4 year degree, 3 years full time work experience, or a combination of the two. Once you apply, you take the AT-SAT. Your selection at the panels is mostly based off that score. Basically, if you score a 90 or better you're a shoe in. If you score 85 or less, it's doubtfull you'll get a job. Check out the forum at jetcareers.com. You could spend hours reading about the process.

As far as location goes, months into the process you are asked to choose two states you'd like to live in. The less competitve the state, the more like you are to get the job. My wife scored an 83, has a commercial instrument rating and chose AK, WA, and OR on two seperate occasions. She was not chosen to continue either time.

Last edited:
One of our pilots just made the switch (do to lossing FAA medical) I can tell you, it's a very long wait. application to training is about 2 years right now. You put down you top 10 choices were you want to go and wait for a offer. We pulled some strings and got him were he lives. Good luck.

I thought atc folks needed a medical that was like the class 2?

I thought atc folks needed a medical that was like the class 2?

You do.. He can't fly do to Type 1 Diabetes. Our Chief Pilots pulled some strings with ATC at our hub and got him in faster. He scored 95 on the test and still waited over a year to get in.

Latest resources

Back