career advise for starting out as corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

what's a good minimum hours to start applying for a entry level corporate job. what is considered entry level....king air???? i have around 120 hrs multi and 500 total.

Last edited:
Just look at the minimums in job ads. It varies greatly depending on insurance requirements, company requirements and competitive minimums with other job seekers. I don't makes some corporate jobs "entry-level", but I know which ones make better careers than others.

I'll say, and most others would agree, that with 500 total hours, you are about 1/6 of the way there.

Tailwinds...

Da Vinci said:
what's a good minimum hours to start applying for a entry level corporate job. what is considered entry level....king air???? i have around 120 hrs multi and 500 total.
Go find a good FBO at a decent size corporate airport and start pumping fuel and making contacts. That'll do more for you than you could ever imagine and you'll learn a lot about the potential aircraft you'll bound to be flying soon. If you are instructing, keep doing that or whatever you are doing to build flight time, but start pumping fuel. I've seen that route work for lots of guys. It's not the only way, but it is a good way.

Da Venci...
I'm not really sure what you mean by "entry level" corporate jobs. Personally, I tend to consider corporate jobs as either good or bad. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the only corporate jobs out there are with the "Fortune" companies. There are many small companies that operate aircraft as well. You probably have visions of Gulfstreams, Globals, or BBJs and there's definitely nothing wrong with that; however there is an old saying that goes the bigger the airplane the bigger the suitcase. Some guys thrive on that, others don't. One of the good things about corporate flying is that there is enough variety out there so that you will probably be able to find a niche that you're happy with.

The key to finding jobs is networking. Start now while you're making yourself marketable. As far as hiring goes, you're not likely going to walk up to a corporate chief pilot with a "wet" commercial license or ATP and get a job. (Sure, it can happen but it's not likely.) Like anything else, you've got to pay your dues and get some experience. Overall, corporate hiring requirements tend to be higher than 121 jobs. Corporate chief pilots have quite a bit of latitude with who they hire, but typical requirements for "Fortune" companies are a B.S. degree, 4000 hours total time, 1000 hours multiengine, 500 hours turbine time, and an ATP.

I've hired my share of pilots and personally I like guys who have spent some time instructing and flying a significant amount of single-pilot IFR. (They tend to know how to fly an airplane and work the system.) My advise to you is to start networking and keep working on the experience - move into charter as soon as you can.

'Sled

Da Vinci said:

Just be where the jobs are, be a "local guy". Like hawker F/O said, work around the corp guys - pumping gas, etc...but keep flying full time also. A great way to do this is flight instruct at a place that has a 135 operation. These jobs tend to be entry level (read: they $uck) but will get you a start...and the hours build up fast, so you can exit that $hit ASAP.

With low time and low qualifications (no type ratings etc) you have to be known. For example, sending out blind resumes with 1500TT in small aircaft will get you nowhere, its a waste of time.

Good Luck.

G200--Neither I nor my rap-savvy daughter know who "YAYO" is. Can you enlighten us?

Oh, yeah Da Vinci, what everyone else said...TC

RichardRambone said:
Tony Yayo. Rapper dude from 50 cents entourage I think. Hes in prison for I dont know what.

this guy knows more than me!

He prolly capped somebody up on the block...TC

Latest resources

Back