Career advice needed...Mesa then the next airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mayoplane

Not a flame bait...simply looking for advice for a friend.

I am writing this for my friend. She interviewed at two different airlines, didn't get it. She recently interviewed at Mesa and got the job. She has an interview invitation from Air Wis, but she will be starting a class with Mesa by then. 1400 total/300 ME She is afraid of rejection, but more than that, she is afraid that she may not have any airline job in a few months. (....if she turns down Mesa class and fails Air Wis interview...) Mesa makes you sign 12 months contract every time you get trained, and they may not offer her any later class date.

I told her...If she is so afraid of not having an airline job, then go ahead and work for Mesa, get some Part 121 experience and use that as a stepping stone to go some where else.....like Skywest, Air Wis after a six months, a year.

Her questions to you all...

1. Being a Mesa Pilot, does that make her look bad when she goes and interview at other airlines? Do airline management not want to hire Mesa pilots?

* I told her they don't care. They just want some pilots with Part121 experience.

2. Does it make her look bad(to the future employer) when she breaks the current employer's (Mesa) contract?

* I told her they didn't care about that either. They just want to hire pilots!

I appreciate your time and she will be checking out your advice. Safe flying!

SHE wont have a problem getting a job anywhere SHE does not need to meet mins SHE wont need friends to walk stuff in for her. SHE will be fine. Unless you are a guy writing this about you, then you are screwed

mnalpha said:
SHE wont have a problem getting a job anywhere SHE does not need to meet mins SHE wont need friends to walk stuff in for her. SHE will be fine. Unless you are a guy writing this about you, then you are screwed

She already got rejected twice. All the white boys with half of her total time got hired at the last interview. (I mean 600 total hours)

REMEMBER, NOT A FLAME BAIT AND NOT LOOKING FOR SARCASM.

Simple solution. Go to Mesa. Never mind what people might think of your airline, in light of Freedom and all the scab talk. I highly doubt that other regionals are gonna care who you worked for to get 800 hours of turbing sic time. Get your year of abuse in, heck it might not even be as bad, then go anywhere you want to go. Sounds like she's young enough to not care about sidesteping.
Good luck!
KP

Last edited:
In my class at SKW there were 2 Mesa pilots and 3 Air Midwest pilots. She won't have a problem moving on after Mesa.

Sounds like you gave her sound advice. Under the circumstances, unless she can somehow get away with attending the AW interview, the bird in the hand theory applies. She may not even end up breaking the contract --- a year is nothing in this industry and will be over before she knows it and then she can re-evaluate and side-step if necessary.

Her times are very respectable, so ignore the misogynists that tend to lurk around here.....especially ones with only 1200TT and claims to DHC8s, Kings and Caravans (yeah, right...maybe 2.2 hours in the right seat of each one watching the real pilot fly it). ;)

mayoplane said:
She already got rejected twice. All the white boys with half of her total time got hired at the last interview. (I mean 600 total hours)

Got any pictures of her? No j/k... The industry is small and when we hire mesa pilots over here they are simply cross-checked on the original freedom-A list, TSA pilots will be checked against the BLO-JET list, any future alter-ego's will be checked etc... If the pilot is smart enough to get through the regionals without screwing over other pilots, getting violated, killed, a DWI or fired they do just fine in "life after the regionals". Male / female doesn't matter.

If she is counting on getting hired just because she is a chick she is way off. She needs to take her flying seriously and then most interview boards will do the same. Hope this helps...

mnalpha said:
Yup...

mayoplane said:

"white boys"? YGBSM.

Latest resources

Back