• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Carb Heat in IMC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your time in actual will come soon enough. The goal is to make it as routine as possible such that it's no different for you than flying visually. You follow the same routines, the same proceedures.

Pesonally, I like to see what it is that I'm hitting...

avbug said:
Your time in actual will come soon enough. The goal is to make it as routine as possible such that it's no different for you than flying visually. You follow the same routines, the same proceedures.

Pesonally, I like to see what it is that I'm hitting...
I got my ticket back in May, didn't file an IFR flightplan till last week. Love it...

For currency, do the 6 approaches need to be actual/simulated ? I flew the ILS the other day, without the hood since I was alone.

Yes the approaches need to be done in instrument conditions (actual or simulated), and must be flown to minimums. That's really the heart of the matter, anyway...the requirement is for proficiency, and getting and staying proficient isn't likely if you aren't flying it by reference to instruments, and flying it all the way down.

Even where you don't have a safey pilot, however, you're doing the right thing by picking up the approach and flying it anyway. Even though you didn't have a hood, you're still gaining some valueable experience in the proceedure.

What I used to do was fly the approach at every airport I visited, even when coming back VFR. And when flying in mountainous country, I flew the approaches in the day so that I was familiar with them at night, and always flew them at night regardless of the weather, for terrain. When the time came to fly the same approach in instrument conditions, I was already familiar, and a lot more confident being close to the terrain.

By flying them on your own visually, you can correlate what's going on on the panel to what's going on outside, and you can use this information to your benifit when flying an approach in instrument conditions. For legality, you will either need to fly the approach in the cloud or with a safety pilot and a view limiting device...but you can get useful experience either way. If you fly somewhere, try to arrive by flying the approach visual or otherwise. It's always good practice.

Yeah, I like flying instrument approaches...so I try to do them, simulated/actual or just visual...

Class now...thanks for the answers.

jafo20 said:
Lycomings have carburetors that are less likey to ice up than Continentals. Or was it the other way around? I think it was the Lycomings.

Horse$hit

chriskcmo said:
You've got it right. Some of the worst carb icing I've had was in a 182 with an O-470 Continental.

More Horse$hit. the idea that brand X is more or less suceptible to icing than brand Y is pure fantasy. Both manufacturers use various models of carburetors form the same 2 manufacturers....mostly Marvel Schebler but both manufacturers use a few Bendix Stromberg Carbs.

I've owned a C-180 with a 0-470-R engine for over 10 years, and have only had carb ice on one occasion, and that was while taxiing on a river one cold wet October morning whth the temp hovering right around freezing. By contrast I have an acquaintence with a 0-470-R equipped C-180 (actually a converted early model 182) who gets carb ice practically on a continuous basis. The only difference between his and mine? The intake system, everything from there on down is identical.

A friend of mine has a modified PA-12 with an O-320. He flew it for decades and never had Carb ice. He had some major work done and one of the changes was a "new and improved" induction system, now it makes carb ice at the drop of a hat, with the same original engine and carburetor.

It's a little more involved than "lycoming engines don't get carb ice and continentals do"

gkrangers said:
I got my ticket back in May, didn't file an IFR flightplan till last week. Love it...

Ha! I got my FW instrument ticket in Sep of last year, filed IFR for the first time TODAY!

Got my currency requirements done exactly 3 days prior to turning into a pumpkin...talk about pushing it.

I didn't say Lycomings don't get ice and Continentals do. I said one was more likely than the other. We'll use training planes for examples, Cessna 150s, with the continental engines, tend to be more susceptible to carburetor ice than 152s with Lycomings.

Here's the deal about situational awareness when you're single engine IMC:

I'm one of those guys who thinks single engine IMC is more risky than multi engine IMC. Still, I did it for a living. If you're going to do it, it's better to know where you are and what's around you than not. It's better to have a mental picture of your surroundings rather than just have "38.9NM on 137 radial from ABC" stuck in your head.

This isn't so you can go flying with one engine over the Rockies with an intricate plan to let down to a field that's fogged in. The idea is that you can get below a 1000 foot cieling to land visually without hitting a hillside, tower, etc. The idea is that you can turn away from the Smoky Mountains to buy yourself some more time dead-stick into Knoxville.

I must not have made my points sufficiently clear in my first posts.

When it's foggy on the ground or the cielings are too low, your options are limited. That's what I mean about aiming for the best terrain nearby. The idea is that one engine, low IMC leaves you vulnerable, and your best options still aren't that great.

Of course, vacuum pumps and alternators are things to think about, and I didn't address them in my previous posts. If you're engine is windmilling, you may or may not have enough RPM to get either of spin either of your vac pumps enough to keep the instruments erect.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back