Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Anyone gone from flying freight in Caravan's to the regionals? I just reached the 135 IFR mins and want to apply for a Caravan gig locally. My multi time is pretty low (around 200, mostly in the seneca). Will all the single engine time hurt me when I apply to the regionals? I guess I would have to pay to rent a Multi to stay current. Any tips or advise from someone who's done this would be great.

vans to regionals? no worries...happens all the time :)

It appears as though you already have the multi time that most want to see. I think you will be in good shape. With high total time and 200 hrs multi I think you meet the mins just about anywhere. Competitive mins are another story of course but they fluctuate month to month depending on who's been interviewing. Good luck.

Steve said:
Anyone gone from flying freight in Caravan's to the regionals? I just reached the 135 IFR mins and want to apply for a Caravan gig locally. My multi time is pretty low (around 200, mostly in the seneca). Will all the single engine time hurt me when I apply to the regionals? I guess I would have to pay to rent a Multi to stay current. Any tips or advise from someone who's done this would be great.

I went from flying a Caravan to Mesaba, but with about 800 multi. I really think that with you having 200 hrs multi AND flying PIC 135 single pilot in a Caravan or other airplane for that matter will make more attractive to the regionals.

Good luck.

Bigboy

why not just apply to the regionals now. people get hired with a lot less than 135 mins. and 200 ME.

I was hired on w/ the regionals w/ 3,000 hours and 230 multi. I had about 1100 hours in the van before I got hired. I don't think lots of single time hurts. Actually, having a lot of turbing pic in the caravan helps out.

Is not being multi current something the regionals will care much about? I could see this happening if all your flying is a Caravan for 1yr+

hey I went from the regionals to a caravan and my pay more than doubled and I fly 25 hours instead of 100 a month. What a sick industry this is. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it

Go fly the Caravan for a while. You may never get another chance and you won't want to miss out. I promise. There will always be jets and glass cockpits in the future so don't be too eager to start flying them. They're boring after a couple months anyway. Fly the Caravan. There's nothing like flying an approach at Vne until a 1/4mile final and then landing in less than 500 ft and making the first exit off the runway. Then refueling and taking off in 250 feet (no sh!t, if you're light). Can't do that in a jet!

UCF Aviator said:
I was hired on w/ the regionals w/ 3,000 hours and 230 multi. I had about 1100 hours in the van before I got hired. I don't think lots of single time hurts. Actually, having a lot of turbing pic in the caravan helps out.

I wouldn't leave the van job until I had atleast 1000 PIC turbine. Atleast you can then sit a regional and send out apps to bigger and better things while flying the jet. It may not be exactly what some majors might be looking for but at least you'll meet the mins and can "check the box" before most. It can only help.

Latest resources

Back