Caravan time????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boxjockey

Here is a question to all of you fortunate folks at the major and national carriers. I fly a C208 approximately 60 hours/mth and 40/mth in hi-perf twins. What is your opinion on the value of this turbine time, and what is the opinion of you're individual carriers on this time. I guess what I'm asking is am I wasting my time in this plane, or was it a good career move taking my current run. Thanks for your input.

box :D

It would depend on the individual carriers minimum qualifications. Some want 1000hrs PIC turbine and don't specify that it be in a multi-engine aircraft, other's specifically want PIC time in Part 121 transport category aircraft. It just all depends. If YOU think you need more multi-engine turbine time then look around and see what you can find. But no, I don't think you're wasting your time, after all, you have a ton more recent flight experience than I do.

Any job at this point in time is a good thing. The Caravan experience is at least good operational experience. In the past I have had problems with it being accepted as "Turbine PIC" time. That is not to say that you cannot work your way into WN (SWA) with just your Caravan time to meet your 1000 hour turbine PIC requirement there. You will probably not be super competitive, but your will get a chance. Just make a plan of getting out of the Caravan if your intent is to work with the majors (when they start hiring again). Think about getting a job flying something greater than 20,000# MGTOW. A number of companies requirements stipulate experience in aircraft at or above that weight (Fedex, JetBlue)

I did meet a brand new "probie" (in the terminal - I don't work at WN) at WN whose previous job experience other than flight instruction was totally with Ameriflight flying their turbine equipment (not the Lear). So if he could do it I think it would be safe to say anyone could.

Have Fun & Enjoy Yourself!

You can do a search on this site and find out quite a lot. I flew the 208 for a while, no regrets but i knew eventually i had to find somehing else to move up.

Some of the best experience I got was single pilot in a caravan flying in really inhospitable territory in Africa. The weather was atrocious, the strips mostly short dirt tracks in the middle of nowhere. So what I am saying is that situation can also determine the experience. The van may be a single, but it is still a turbine and so in that context unless specified otherwise, it is turbine pilot in command time you are logging. I went from 1300 hours in that van to a 1900C as captain and then to a B737 as first officer. I then left my seat on the B737-200 after a year to come fly in the the best country in the whole world (the USA). I did so because I got a green card and did not want to lose it. Guess what I flew here? Yes, a caravan again. After a year on that van, I am now a second officer on a B747-400. So my advice is enjoy your caravan, but try look out for anything that will give you exposure to a multi-crew environment. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT thing I have learned so far... If you are enjoying what you are doing than sit tight for a while, don't rush off and try change. Savour the moment. Take care!

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far. I do enjoy the position I'm in, and within the next 1.5 years I should have the opportunity for jet multi-pilot time. I'm definitely not in a big hurry to move, just trying to prepare myself for the next 3-5 years.

box

It says "TYPICAL" qualifications...I was told by someone that flys for FedEx, that one thing they won't flex on, is the Bachelors degree. Obviously, with slow hiring times and a glut of pilots with big airplane experience, a "TYPICAL" pilot is a dime a dozen. This guy also told me that furloghed pilots, were not being interviewed. You can flame this all you want. It's what the guy said to my face and I do not portend to be an expert on airline hiring, nor on how FedEx does it's hiring.

I will say to the original poster, to never look down on your Caravan single engine turbine time. If a person has 3,000 hours of documented 135 flying time and 5,000 total time. And the break down of the 135 time is 1,500 multi piston and 1,500 single turbine. What would be the point of making the guy go fly 1,500 more hours of multi turbine?

I'm not saying multi turbine time, wouldn't make your more marketable. I'm just saying that a preponderance of other flight time, in combination with single turbine, should not be looked at as worthless. And I'm sure there are airlines out there, that don't look at it that way either.

Good luck to you, BoxJockey!:)

Main Entry: typ·i·cal
Pronunciation: 'ti-pi-k&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin typicalis, from typicus, from Greek typikos, from typos model -- more at TYPE
Date: 1612
1 : constituting or having the nature of a type : SYMBOLIC
2 a : combining or exhibiting the essential characteristics of a group <typical suburban houses> b : conforming to a type <a specimen typical of the species>
synonym see REGULAR
- typ·i·cal·i·ty /"ti-p&-'ka-l&-tE/ noun
- typ·i·cal·ness /'ti-pi-k&l-n&s/ noun

Qualifications

Typical qualifications for consideration as a FedEx pilot.

Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)

Current ATP Certificate or written

Current FE Turbojet Rating or written (FEX or Basic/turbojet)

Must pass FAA mandated drug screen

Recency and type of experience is considered

Meet requirements for and currently hold First Class Medical certification

Bachelor's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university

Eligibility for rapid visa issuance, issued by offices in the United States to fly to any FedEx destination.

Ability to obtain clearance from United States Postal Service for handling or access to U.S. mail, which includes FBI fingerprint check, and candidate must have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments)

Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance

1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in command (PIC) or first officer (SIC) including a minimum 1000 hours PIC in fixed-wing jet, fixed wing multi-engine turbo-prop, or multi-engine recip over 20,000 LBGW or combination thereof.
Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.
Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.

All certificates and ratings required to be U.S.A. FAA issued

Caravans are fun to fly and they become great gliders when the engine quits and you feather the prop!

If you're in the air, you're doing something right!

I had electrical smoke in mine one night last week, while testing the standby alternator.

Never heard too many tales of the engine quiting, do tell yours?

Not a van but the same engine, FCU problem on a T-34.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/issues/oct03/bravozulu.htm
A T-34C Turbo Mentor had a low-altitude power loss inside the initial recovery point after a day-contact flight (fam 4) from NAS Whiting Field (North), Milton, Fla. The student-naval aviator, 2ndLt. Jason Duke, USMC, was flying at 1,300 feet, at 170 knots, when the airplane suddenly lost power and rapidly lost airspeed.

Capt. Jim Warner, the instructor pilot in the rear cockpit, took the controls and climbed as he transitioned to 100 knots. He made sure his aircraft was clean and diagnosed the malfunction by referencing engine instruments. Capt. Warner noticed low torque and low-engine RPM (N1). While setting up for a forced landing, he also saw N1 rolling down through 50 percent; minimum N1 in-flight is 62 to 65 percent. Upon seeing the low N1 setting, he checked the propeller-condition lever to be full forward. He then engaged the emergency-power lever, which immediately restored power. Capt. Warner climbed toward North Whiting Field, called tower, declared an emergency, and made a precautionary emergency landing.

A compressor bleed-air line had separated, causing the engine-fuel control to roll back to minimum flow. The reference air is needed by the fuel control to properly meter fuel to the engine; without it, the engine loses useful power.

Latest resources

Back