Caravan Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Latko

Hello. I'm looking for some insight into what it is like flying caravans in night freight operations. I would really like to hear from anyone who flies for Mid-Atlantic Freight. Basically seeking info on pay, duty times, and routes.
Do you basically fly the same route every night? I'm interested in a scheduled operation so I assume you pretty much fly the same routes over and over.
Another question pertains to gaining multi time. How do you guys get multi hours...do you instruct on the side, fly right seat once in awhile for an air charter service, etc.
I'm asking all of this because flying a caravan is much better than not flying at all (or very little). I'm just concerned about future advancement opportunities considering its all single-engine time.
Any info into this side of aviation would be appreciated.

Latko-

I don't fly for Mid-Atlantic Freight, but I have flow freight in the van in the past. Most operators that fly the Caravan do so under contract for companies such as UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, etc... so most of the routes are scheduled and the route you fly will be the same each night in most cases. I've flown several routes for UPS in the past. They ranged anywhere from 4-5 nights a week and between 1.2 - 3.5 hours per trip. Most routes start between 7-10pm, overnight at the UPS hub and return the next morning between 3-5am with your day ending sometime in mid morning. Some of our rotues had an apartment and company car that we could use at our destination, some had a hotel room waiting for us with a hotel shuttle, while others only had the crew lounge at the UPS building. The company I fly for also has a charter operation with King Airs and Citations. After a while in the van, they would try to bring you back to fly for the charter side of the business if you wanted to, so that's how i've been getting my multi time. Look for a company that has some twins that you can advance up to in the future. I had alot of fun flying freight in the Caravan. You need to make sure you are up to speed in your instrument skills because it is all done single pilot, and you can't cancel or delay a flight due to a few clouds. You must be confident in your abilities, but be responsible enough to know when to stay on the ground.

I hope this was the sort of info you were looking for and that it helps you out. Good luck with the job search!

Flew for Mid-Atlantic Freight in 1997 in the C-208. It was a good intro to the PT-6. Fun plane to fly. Felt like an 18-eight-wheeler driver climbing up the ladder (watch the your fingers as you pull up the ladder!) As I remember, $18,000/yr was the salary - can't remember the benefits. Scheduled run (is what I wanted) Mon PM thru Sat AM - duty on about 7p one stop and finish up about 11p at destination - about 1.8-2 hrs each way - report back on at 5a and finish up at base about 9:30 or 10a -
Still technically on duty while on the overnight and could be called to other flying or repo for a maintenance issue, but generally stuck to my schedule. Easy run - others had more demanding schedules and some opted for "floating" schedules. They would travel around filling in or do short term contract runs.
Never did allow myself to adjust to the night schedule (had a girlfriend who became my wife). Tried to get sleep at the FBO lounge chair. FBO stopped that policy shortly after I left. Some pilots would try to sleep in the plane. High tunover.

Just to add to my previous post. Our Caravan pilots made anywhere from the high 20's to $30,000 a year depending on whether they had a 4 or 5 day route. We also have a pretty good health insurance plan.

Latest resources

Back