• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Capt. Len Morgan's passing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have no words worthy of honoring him. I hope he understood just how many of us were affected by his wonderful words.

RIP

When I was in the Air Force at Luke Airplane Patch, I sent a letter to Capt Morgan, and in true gentleman style, he wrote back; a simple note saying thank you for my kind words. I dont remember what I wrote, but I remember what he sent back. I still have it somewhere at home.

I'm a dispatcher (partially) because of his writings. I subscribed to Flying, mostly, for his writings. There are still some that I read today; 20 years after reading them for the first time.

Fair skies and 100 kt tailwinds Captain, thats your briefing. Thanks for the memories.

About 10 years ago I had an Internet list of aviation quotes and great lines from flying books. Playing around with the then-still-new Internet.

Out of the blue (as they say) I got an email from Captain Morgan. It was supportive and inspiring. We exchanged several more emails and a phone call or two. As a writer and former aviation book publisher he showed me how to turn a stupid webpage into a couple of books.

He was an amazing writer, at the very top level of folks who bring alive the airline cockpit using just pen and paper. He was also gentleman.

From my list at www.skygod.com:

An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.
— Len Morgan

Watching the Dallas Cowboys perform, it is not difficult to believe that coach Tom Landry flew four-engines bombers during World War II. He was in B-17 Flying Fortresses out of England, they say. His cautious, conservative approach to every situation and the complexity of the plays he sends in do seem to reflect the philosophy of a pilot trained to doggedly press on according to plans laid down before takeoff. I sometimes wonder how the Cowboys would have fared all this years had Tom flown fighters in combat situations which dictated continuously changing tactics.

— Len Morgan, 'View from the Cockpit.'

I came to admire this machine which could lift virtually any load strapped to its back and carry it anywhere in any weather, safely and dependably. The C-47 groaned, it protested, it rattled, it leaked oil, it ran hot, it ran cold, it ran rough, it staggered along on hot days and scared you half to death, its wings flexed and twisted in a horrifying manner, it sank back to earth with a great sigh of relief - but it flew and it flew and it flew.

— Len Morgan. The C-47 was the U.S. military designation for the DC-3.

The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.

— Len Morgan

I also loved Capt. Morgan's column in Flying. I started reading it in June of 1985, when I was 7 years old. Godspeed Sir.

On a side note, does anyone know a place where I can buy his books? I tried looking a while back and couldn't find them anywhere.

It's good to see that I'm not the only aviator who was especially touched by his articles. I remember how excited I was to receive my first "Flying" issue some 10+ years ago after my grandparents bought me the subscription for Christmas. I was hooked on "Vectors" from day one and kept thinking about how much I wanted to live a life like he'd had. Maybe we'll get back to that someday but I'm not complaining in the meantime either.

We need more like him to say the very least.

Godspeed

Latest resources

Back