Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kingairrick

Rare user
Does anyone out there know anything about Cape Air? How much one could expect to make 1st year? How about how likely it would be to get a FL base first year? How are the work rules? Is it a good place to work for a while?

Hey man, I do not work for them however I have a couple friends who do, plus I fly to alot of there destinations in the north. As far as the company I heard that it is a great place to work for but not long term. Some guys get sick of the 402 after a while in it. The flying in the north during the summertime is very busy, some guys and gals will do, I heard, 14 legs a day, 6 days a week. As far as what goes on in the south I dont know. I have seen them before down there but it looked to me like the guys were pretty senior. I am going to imagine that rite now they are pretty set with pilots, but I cant confirm. Thats all I know. CYA

i got a call yesterday from the recruiter they are looking for pilot for their caribean bases next class oct21 you need an atp ticket.......pay is 12.50 hr however they pay you duty hour and overtime this come to about 30k a year.......i have another interview next week with air sunshine out of fort lauderdale but know nothing of the company...........but i tell you after two year of instructing anything looks way better

Tammy called me about the Oct 21 class, and that's why I raised the question. I think thT San Juan might not be a bad trip back to my home in Tampa every couple of weeks. I was interested in finding out from a current employee how much I might make first year. It sounds like you could probably put 1000 hrs of scheduled pax multi time in the log in 12 months...pretty cool.

there's a lot of flight coming here to florida from puerto rico so cummuting is no problem.........and flying to the islands is not bad at all. i live in kissimmee but used to live in puerto rico

Kingairrick,

My roomie and a few friends have flown for them and said the Carribean deal is awesome. Cheap rent for a great place to live, easy flying(just about all VFR), and lots of good water sports. Flying back and forth from Logan to the Islands in the summer mostly. You'll do alot of IFR approaches if you're up here. 30k is about what everyone makes first year apparently. A good group of people and certainly worth a year of your time. I believe if you don't have the ATP they require a one year commitment however in this economy, how bad is 800-1000 multi PIC single pilot going to look on a resume?

Mr. I.

Hey ya'll,

I flew with one of their former pilots when I was at Midway. She was a darn good stick and had a lot of good things to say about Cape. If I was a single man and looking for a job, I'd give it a shot.

Cheers,
gump

I left Cape Air about a year ago. There were great people there and it was a good place to work - good maintenance, adherence to rules, etc. 30K is about right for the first year, but don't expect the pay to go up a lot in subsequent years. There was some dissatisfaction about the pay, mainly from people who had been there for a few years. In fact, there was a union vote at the end of the summer that narrowly failed. While the starting salary is pretty attractive, the cost of living on the Cape is very expensive "in season". I never went to the Carribean, but several pilots told me they actually banked money when they were down there, but then spent it when they came back to the Cape in the summer.

All in all, it was a great experience with really good people. Just don't fall in love with it, because it is a job for a year or two - not a career! If your spouse is a brain surgeon, it would be a fun career. Have your IFR skills in order because 10 approaches to minimums at ACK in day can wear you out.

I got an interview coming up does anyone has info on how the interview goes? and where?

I worked the ramp for them out of BOS and they work very very hard in the summer, like was said before, flying multiple approaches to mins.
To tell you something about the corporate culture the CEO does every new hire breifing including all the rampers, pilots, maintenance, etc. and every sat of the summer flies all day long from provincetown to bos about 15 legs.

My understanding is the most junior people spend the summers in the BOS area and the winters in carribbean.

but a great place to work, nicest people you could work with and many people have gone straight from cape air to Netjets.

Latest resources

Back