Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cape Air domiciles

General Lee said:
They fly out of three bases----BOS, San Juan, and a Florida base flying to Key West etc.

Actually they have a bunch of different bases. Most of the north staff is based in Hyannis. However they do have some pilots in Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, Boston and New Bedford. During the winter months the focus shifts to the south. The bases are Tortola, St Croix, St Thomas and San Juan. I believe the Florida bases are Ft Lauderdale, Naples and Key West.

They do work their guys hard---I have heard they do 13-14 legs a day up in BOS---and one pilot got so disoriented that he/she became worthless and a passenger who was a private pilot had to land the plane in Provincetown (the tip of Cape Cod)----and unfortunately landed gear up---not knowing that the multi plane she was now driving (C402) had retractible gear---unlike her C172.

Yes they do work very hard! That particular incident was on the last leg of a 16 leg day. The pilot had a diabetic reaction which the passenger ( who was also a Cape Air employee ) landed safely in P-town. Everyone was extremely lucky. He resigned before they could terminate him.

All in all, Cape Air is a great place to work. I left there over a year ago. A great bunch of guys to work with. And some of the best pilots to fly with. Get used to 8-10 or more approaches to mins in some very challenging weather.

As far as the maintenance, they are very well maintained. If you have a MEL on the airplane it is almost always fixed before it goes out the next morning. If it breaks away from mx they will send a mechanic over right away to either fix it there or ferry it back to the shop. When I left they were in the process of upgrading all the avionics. The airplanes are getting old but they do a great job of keeping them in the air.

Last edited:
Cape Air Mins

Just a few questions for you about your time. I work here and know first hand how the select people.

1. was your 402 time in the C model?
2. was it PIC or SIC?
3. are you currently based in HYA after being APF based?
4. Are you a future law student. (that requires english skills.)

Dont forget about the cape air 402 that crashed on take off from BOS 22R from Tango after hitting the wake from a departing aircraft. That happened a few years ago.

Latest resources

Back