Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey guys,

A friend of mine mentioned this to me and it seems interesting but I don't really know where to find any info. I just joined the Civil Air Patrol as a senior member and have heard that I am eligible to join Air Force Aero Clubs. Is this true? If so, what other requirements are there and how do I go about doing it? Are there any strict requirements/limitations or is it just like flying out of a civilian school?

Are there Aero Clubs at either Buckley AFB or Davis-Monthan AFB (or just the Tucson or Denver areas in general...)? If so, how can I get more information about them?

Thanks much, I really appreciate it!

Hey:

http://www-p.afsv.af.mil/Aero/default.htm

That link will give you more info and tell you all the locations of bases with aero clubs.

As for civilians flying out of base, it depends on the base. I was an instructor at Holloman AFB (no civilians/CAP were allowed to fly on base due to security, but we could ferry planes to them at the civilian airport). When I moved to Beale AFB, CA they had different rules and CAP could fly on base. So, it just depends. I would check with your local aero club.

I had a lot of fun flying out of the aero clubs, and met a lot of good people.

;) Kat

Katbird, I see that you are a contract military ip. How does that work and where are those positions. I know they used to do that in Hondo, Texas with the T-41 and the Slingsby firefly (sp?). Didn't know that they were still doing that sort of thing except for Lear Siegler at Ft. Rucker. Any info would be great.

F6

hey Fox:

I was an IP at Holloman and Beale AFB. I was a civilian/dependent(hubby was USAF ATC). I got the job at Holloman by talking to the chief flight instructor and going through the same process as a civilian flight school (interview/flight check).

I taught initial flight training to butter bars at both bases.

It was a blast. Holloman's aero club was nice. We had alot of T41C and other planes (172, C310). It helped to have the German $$ supporting us there :)

Beale was smaller but a lot of fun. They fly mostly out of Marysville since it is busy all the time at Beale.

Good luck!

Fox:

Forgot to mention.

They are going to be changing the process for IFT soon. The DOD will oversee operations from what I have heard and will contract out to a bidder (such as Serco, etc) to run the IFT program from one location (like in the old days at Hondo). Last rumor I heard it was going to be run by Serco (currently a DOD Contractor for ATC services in US) and run out of Roswell, NM. That was awhile ago and things could have changed.

:)

Katbird, thanks for the info, there are a lot of interesting lines of work out there. I wonder what they will do the IFT in if they do centralize it in Roswell? Last time I flew over Hondo, all those fireflies were still sitting on the ramp. Hate to see a waste like that, I guess their issues never got resolved.

F6

flyf15 said:
Hey guys,

A friend of mine mentioned this to me and it seems interesting but I don't really know where to find any info. I just joined the Civil Air Patrol as a senior member and have heard that I am eligible to join Air Force Aero Clubs. Is this true? If so, what other requirements are there and how do I go about doing it? Are there any strict requirements/limitations or is it just like flying out of a civilian school?

Are there Aero Clubs at either Buckley AFB or Davis-Monthan AFB (or just the Tucson or Denver areas in general...)? If so, how can I get more information about them?

There isn't an Aero Club at Buckley yet but there are some people trying to get one going. There is a club at Peterson and at the Air Force Academy though. It might be a drive depending on where you live however.

As far as how strict. You do have to deal with alot more paperwork and annual stands. tests and what not compared to regular civilian clubs. Club limitations with regards to weather are similar to what you'd see at most civilian clubs and the night regs are a bit different.

If you're interested you can check out the aero club at the Academy at this link: http://atlas.usafa.af.mil/svk/aeroclub/aeroclub.htm

Hope that helps.

On a related note, If you have enough points but need good years for retirement, can service in the CAP satisfy that requirement?

Close to Buckley

flyf15 said:
Hey guys,

Hi

I am an IP at the Peterson AFB Aero Club in Colorado Springs. We are trying to get an annex at Buckley but its been slow coming. I really enjoy the Aero Club, there are more rules than the civilian side- annual rides and tests, but it is a safer and more quality organization than the civialian schools.

Let me know if I can offer more info. Heres a link to our site: http://petaf.com/

Heres a link to other Aero Club sites: http://www.afsv.af.mil/Aero/Directory.htm

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Latest resources

Back