• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can't Sleep

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
----If your plane has an auto pilot, you can hang a stop watch with a timer alarm around your neck, set it for about 5 to 7 minutes, take a snooze and when the alarm goes off, check that all is well, reset and repeat. If you don't have an autopilot then the altitude alerter will provide one for you ---
You ought to talk to this guy i know who used to do that, and forgot to reset his alarm.......he ended up flying to canada on accident..good thing he woke up eventually

Nyquil...drink the whole damm bottle...

freighthumper said:
----If your plane has an auto pilot, you can hang a stop watch with a timer alarm around your neck, set it for about 5 to 7 minutes, take a snooze and when the alarm goes off, check that all is well, reset and repeat. If you don't have an autopilot then the altitude alerter will provide one for you ---

In a human factors class I learned that the really short "catnaps" are not all that productive. I can't find the textbook right now but in order for a nap to be effective I think it needs to be at least 20 minutes. Probably not a good idea if you're single pilot.

Here's a link http://human-factors.arc.nasa.gov/zteam/

mmmm....sleep

whatever you do, DONT nap in the airplane.. Make sure you are exercising when you are up, a good diet (NOT ATKINS) and drink plenty of fluids. Also, I stuffed towels in the window to keep out light.

Also, if you're falling asleep in the airplane. Eat and apple, it'll keep you busy and awake for a good 20 minutes. Enough for approach and landing if necessary.

If you don't want to fall asleep while flying, don't read college textbooks. I was holding for 2.5 hours on saturday trying to read that text book in the warm sunlight and it made it really tough to stay awake flying 10 mile legs real slow.

I was so groggy in one turn inbound, I undid altitude hold on the autopilot on the way to hitting the nav button to re-intercept the localizer. I caught it, but it sure gives you the shivers.

I could imagine a tired frieght dog accidently hitting the appch button instead of the nav button to fly the inbound legs of a hold, then taking a cat nap to the end of an undesired ILS...followed shortly there after by a dirt nap.

Aluminum Foil over your window and Duct Tape works wonders, i've been doing it for alomst a year now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back