Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can't make this up. A takeoff abort due to......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would hava aborted as well. Why continue a roll when you are only doing 40 knots for anything unidentefied. So you "can make this up" (thread title) in fact I'll bet it happens somewhere everyday.

I don't think the question is should you abort or not, the question is how stupid can you be to write NASA and admit you left your phone on, which caused an abort, and then end with but it's ok, b/c it was in "airplane mode", the battery was just low.

Was this guy flying a small plane on his day off across EWR airspace a few weeks ago?

There was this one captain that aborted because they had the flaps incorrectly set. They ran off the runway and almost killed everyone.

Not sure if this quote is criticizing a pilot for aborting which led to a runway excursion.

My stance is, you fly the way you train. Can you lose control of an aircraft during an abort and hurt or kill people? Sure. But aborting because you forgot to set flaps or something else flight critical, which causes you to exit the runway and collapse a gear in the grass is better than try to get the the plane airborne which leads to a crash that may kill everyone.

May we remember:
Delta 1141 (1988) - B727, flaps not set for takeoff, 14 deaths & 76 injured
Northwest 255 (1987) - MD82, flaps not set for takeoff, 156 deaths & 1 injured
(in both accidents, the crew was unaware that they didn't set the flaps, but had they had a warning, I'm sure they would have aborted).

Some phones have a very strange low battery noise. An old GF's phone made me think aliens had invaded my apartment when I was in college one night.

We had a crew that took off a 737 without flaps/slats. All sorts of warnings going off. Barely limped it into the sky without killing everyone. I would prefer the captain that errors on the side of caution.

I for one also think pilots should error on the side of caution. *****Whatever the reason for an abort, it's a mute point. *****For all intensive purposes when worst comes to worst we shouldn't take it for granite. *****I could care less what anyone doesn't abort for as long as they error on the side of caution.

" I for one also think pilots should error on the side of caution. Whatever the reason for an abort, it's a mute point. For all intensive purposes when worst comes to worst we shouldn't take it for granite. I could care less what anyone doesn't abort for as long as they error on the side of caution. "

UEJ500....Ha! Very nice Sir.

Do you know how many people ( piluts :) ) just read your post and have no idea of what you were really trying to convey?

About 95 % is my guess. Well, I guess that's THERE problem.

Whine

P.S. - Did I miss any? English is a second language to me also....Although, it's the only one I speak.

Last edited:
UEJ500....Ha! Very nice Sir.

Do you know how many people ( piluts :) ) just read your post and have no idea of what you were really trying to convey?

About 95 % is my guess. Well, I guess that's THERE problem.

Whine

P.S. - Did I miss any?
Funny, this was part of the conversation at work today. I'm usually not the grammar police but I couldnt resist.

Funny, this was part of the conversation at work today. I'm usually not the grammar police but I couldnt resist.

Yup.

Pilots are like Women and Puppies....Fun to play with , but tiresome and time consuming at some point.

:)

LOVE,

Whiner

P.S. - Oh, and you missed your apostrophe in "couldn't " . Just saying. Keep me straight , as I will you... Brother of The Knighthood of Some Semblance of Intelligence Through Coherent Thought and Writings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back