Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Hey,

I'm headed down there the 28th-31st. It will be my first time there. I'm seeking input from you vets who have been there and done that... places to go, eat, what must be seen? If any of you will be down there during those dates, PM me..

Don't get drunk and pee in the bushes on your walk back to your hotel. The Federales are just lookin for a reason to throw you in the drunk tank, and then it costs ya about $300 to get out.

A1FlyBoy said:
Hey,

I'm headed down there the 28th-31st. It will be my first time there. I'm seeking input from you vets who have been there and done that... places to go, eat, what must be seen? If any of you will be down there during those dates, PM me..

If you're the PIC on a chartered flight, tell them you're private when you clear customs otherwise they'll charge you extra if you don't have the proper permits. Those bastards see an American tail number and their eyes light up with dollar signs.

Have fun

Just got back about a week ago, we were there for six glorious days. (Spring Break)

We stayed at the Hyatt Grand Caribe (Universal put us up there) Very nice place, hella expensive though. No kidding 10 bucks for a rail margarita by the pool. Nice beach and lovely senoritas walking around.

Food: Lorenzillo's and the Plantation House have incredibly good food, especially if you like seafood. I highly recommend the Caribe soup at Lorenzillo's. Use the bread they give you to feed the fish it's pretty cool. I also had the best nachos of my life at this place called Mextreme downtown across from the Bulldog cafe'. Good place to sit and people watch too. The Shrimp Bucket was also a really good place to eat, they have all you can eat shrimp for a descent price for a tourist joint.

Bars: Pat O'briens was a lot of fun, I was able to have multiple shots poured down my throat in a very short amount of time, my crotch grabbed, and an offer to come to my hotel room by a lovely mexican girl that worked there. I took her up on it but she never showed up, surprise....slut. During the day Margaritaville was a fun place to chill, sign a dollar and put it up on the money tree they have in there, all I had on me was pesos so I didn't get to participate in that one. The captain I was with isn't a club person at all and I'm ok with them, but we never made it to Senor Frogs or any of the other places. I probably could have done something had I been in there.

Things to do: One hyphenated word: Xel-Ha For $59us you can get an all-inclusive day there. This includes all your snorkel stuff (you keep the snorkel) entrance to the whole place for the day, all the (good, sit down) food you can eat, and unlimited trips to the bar. Tips are included for the whole day. They close at 5pm so you wanna get there early to take advantage of it. It's about 1-1 1/2 hours towards Tulum where the ruins are.

I messed this part up so pay attention: Under no circumstances buy any alcohol at a store other than the Wal-Mart on the way to Xel-Ha. I got back and found out that liquor there is practically free compared to the good 'ol USA. So stock up and save!

We also went fishing there for 110us. They paired us up with four other people and went out for 4 hours. I caught some Barracuda, we boated some king mackarel, and red snapper also. All this literally a mile off the beach. I think it was sort of a rip off, unless you go on a private charter. I'm a light tackle guy anyway so I didn't like catching fish with a broomstick-there's no fight.

However there is a light tackle guy past Tony Roma's on the right. If I'm there again I'll look that guy up.

Things to watch out for: Corrupt police, driving is an adventure outside of the main strip, loose women, and annoying people at the flea markets. And remember..everything can be bargained for so treat everything like your buying a car the price tag means nothing.

Everything that was aviation related was great, the people were nice and things got done quickly and with a smile.

I'd go back in a minute. It was one of the best places in the Carribean I have been to.

Mextreme has good food, I second that. There's all sorts of stuff to do. I stayed in town and ended up paying $60 a night for a real nice room (not all inclusive though). Also rented a car for pretty cheap.

If you go clubbing, go to Coco Bongo. It's been called the best in the world and I would tend to agree. Also hear the City was good too, but stay away from the others. Also, go to Coco during the week to avoid it being way overcrowded, I think it was a bit cheaper too. Don't miss Senor Frogs either.

Cancun rocks! And yeah when the locals see an American all they see is $$$$$$

I had some lady come up to me at the stoplight and try to sell me a block of cheese she had obviously been holding out in the 80 degree weather all day.

Driving is fun... apparently there are no lanes and if there's enough room for a car to fit, fit they will!

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
Driving is fun... apparently there are no lanes and if there's enough room for a car to fit, fit they will!

Also, stop lights are there just for show. Don't think that cab or bus is going to stop and just start walking across the street. If they aren't at a full stop already be VERY careful.

most important of all....don't drink the water unless it is bottled....if you do you can still go to all the places you want but all you'll want to see is the $hitter....

I heard that a lot of the hotels provide you bottled water, but much of it is bottled in Mexico! Heard that salads and anything else that may have been hit with water should not be consumed. I'm going to contact my doctor for meds should I get hit with Montazumas Revenge.

Any other tips?

Latest resources

Back