Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

Do these exist?
I have been cancelled from weeks before, to one situation where I was physically seated in the cockpit and the fo was about to close the door.
Given a weeks' notice, I have no problems.
Somewhere between 48hrs and 0 hrs can be a problem for me.

If your gig is cancelled, do you charge a fee? How much?
What are the terms ie how many hours/days out does it start to apply?
Thanks

They exist. When I was performing quite a bit of contract, if a cancellation occured the day of the flight I would invoice them for the day of that trip. As far as 48hrs? Good luck selling that one unless you are having to airline to the aircraft. FWIW, draw out firm details in the contract with the employer before starting any trip.

Nope, not in charter. If the client decides not to travel, the trip doesn't happen.

TransMach

At my company if a trip cancels within 72 hours we pay the contractor the full rate for the entire trip without him asking, a cancellation between 3-7 days prior we pay him half the rate for the entire trip and outside of 7 days we don't pay anything but expenses that the contractor may have encountered planning for the trip.

I fly a number of part 91 CE650's and Hawkers based in the Dallas area on a contract basis, and if a trip cancels less than 48 hours prior I will generally bill for at least the first day of the trip. This can be a double-edged sword, though. The challenge is that on one side I take care of my own training, but on the other side I want to keep my clients. I could argue all day long that it would be "right" to bill for any trip that cancels on short notice, but being right would not necessarily keep my client (i.e. my customer) happy - so I try to take the long view about these things. In the last 12 months I have only billed for two day’s-worth of cancelled trips (in both cases we were strapped in and starting engines when a mechanical problem caused us to scrub the flights). In both cases I explained to the clients that I would need to bill them for the day, and I offered to make myself available for maintenance later in the day if necessary. The clients understood and were appreciative, and paid me promptly.

If you’re doing contract flying you should try to balance your long term earning potential against the short term desire to make up for the unexpectedly lost revenue. So think about it from that business perspective and it may help you set the right tone for conversations with your future clients. Remember too that when you’re doing Part 91 flying your clients are almost always business owners themselves, and they will likely see and appreciate your perspective when it comes to short notice cancellations.

Hell, if you approach the situation well they might even be impressed with your business acumen and might even send you more business in the future.

It's all up to the person. Are you a true contract only pilot? Have a job and contract on side? I know it sucks but sometimes you have to play the game and be understandable. I have been offered pay for a cancelled trip and turned it down. Sometimes you can't control cancelations but even though this is our profession, give a little and get a little. Because I did that I was called more and more for work. I don't like to get paid for work not done. Some people feel differently. It's just the nature of the business. I like to be honest. I've turned down contract work for another I've committed to and that trip cancels. Didn't get paid. But I was the first one they called for the next trip. Some companies are good like that some are not. I fly cause I love to fly and also have to make a living. It's a small world in aviation. Be careful of the toes you step on today, it might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Contract pilots sometimes think that their job is easy, no planning. Just show up and go. I enjoy to learn, ask questions. Do stuff they don't ask me to do but you know they do it. Example. Flight attendants cleaning the back of plane. She doesn't ask or expects help. Just grab the vacuum and do it. Be proactive. There is more than just flying. Make it feel like you are actually part of the crew with out of stepping on someone's shoes. I don't wait back and wait for someone to tell me what do to. If they say they got everything, I grab a towel and go to the tires and while them down. That's just me. In our operation we like to see initiative. In all aspects. Suggestions. We all learn from each other. There is no one right way of doing something. Talk about it. We learn a lot from each other. I'm a captain on a G5 and I like to give responsitily to the FO. They feel like they are cmtributimg. Re,e,her we all work together as a team. There is no BOSS we there is a screw up it should be because everyone was not involved. PIC should not only be a leader but also a learner and listen to what others are saying or concerned with. Bottom line. Work together, speak your mind, talk about it. Keep everyone happy and the boss will be happy. Leave the negative at home. It's really not as important than when you take off a 50 mil airplane and bring it down safely! Communicate1!!!!!!!!!!

You can really tell the difference in the regional pilot and corp pilot. If this tread was started on the regional side of the board, you would be called all kinds of names and an attitude of screw the owner they should pay regardless stuff. It's amazing what a difference it is when you refer to your passengers, not as passengers but clients!!! I personally think its a great attitude and will get you far.

Latest resources

Back