Canadian Tankers in the US

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Blur

Anyone know if the 6 Convairs that the USFS is using to cover for Aero Union closing have to meet the same standards as US tankers? I ask because I know of 3 well maintained DC-7s that are sitting in central OR which the USFS won't touch because they are "civilian" platforms and don't have an airframe service limit like the P2V and P3.

I'd be curious to know whether these aircraft have to meet the same standards as US companies, or if they are exempt because they are certified though the Canadian system. Seems to me that Convairs are also civilian platforms too.

Don't get me wrong about Conair. I know a few of their pilots and they do great work. I've even flown on many a fire in which they came south of the border and saved homes. I just get an uneasy feeling watching US tanker companies struggle to remain in operation while seeing our US tax dollars go to Canada...especially in this economy.

Yep, I am convinced there at those who would prefer the USFS use military and foreign tankers to US civilian tankers.

If anything tragic unfortunately happens, the USFS or whoever can disavow responsibility and just wash their hands of it, if its a mil or foreign aircraft.

Just my opinion, but I really think they want to get away from contracting our own tankers owned by US companies on fixed period contracts, and just pull from military MAFF C-130s or Canadian tankers as needed.

Drive by them nearly every day. Seems like a slap in the face to US operators. Jobs are hard enough to come by without farming contracts out accross the border. Just my humble opinion. Fly Safe All!!

Griff

Drive by them nearly every day. Seems like a slap in the face to US operators. Jobs are hard enough to come by without farming contracts out accross the border. Just my humble opinion. Fly Safe All!!

Griff

All those P-3s would sure come in handy right now in Texas, and so would Butlers DC-7s

And of course, the USFS yet again has missed the deadline for presenting their proposal for the future of their airtanker contracts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back