Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rchcfi said:
Gents,

I'm heading to Canada in the next few weeks ...... It's in a C414 so I don't have to worry about the TFSSP (APIS). .......

As indicated, you maybe confusing people with this. The tone and placement of the post suggests you are part 91. If 135 you need to look into a number of things. Your Ops Spec and company manual for one. A certificate of insurance I believe must on file file with NavCanada and there may be an air carrier fee? TFSSP and APIS are not necessarily connected (although most of the info about APIS has been on the TFSSP board). APIS still applies for US entry of a commercial operator regardless of aircraft weight (outbound is still optional at this time).

I was just up there last week dropping off our plane for paint and interior.

Tag2 is correct in saying 2 hrs prior notice for Canpass.

If you have never been there before, when you initially call Canpass to set things up, you will have to give them the A/C registration information along with names, dates of birth and citizenship for all persons on the aircraft. They will also need to know your destination airport, FBO and reason for the trip (pleasure, business, etc).

When you land, if the airport is not serviced by a Canadian Customs Facility, you again call Canpass and tell them NXXX has arrived at C blah blah blah airport. If all is well, they will give you a report number and you are on your way.

If they have a Customs facility there, they will usually come out to greet you and look you over.

Very simple procedure. The real pain is returning back to the US. Some guys are nice, some are real pric*^.

The 2 hour notice is right on. I've sat on hold for 40 minutes with Can-Pass and had to delay a departure on one occasion, now I always call the night before. Certain airports are only "open" for customs during certain seasons and then during certain hours. You can go into these airports from the US only when customs is "open" Otherwise you'll clear at some other airport and continue on (just like the states). The nice thing about Canada customs is that it is completely standardized, very much unlike the US. Every agent wants to see something different.

On another note, if you are 135, you'll need and international carrier bond (insurance form) before hopin' over to our buds to the north. (or south if you are in Detroit)

US Customs User Decal

And in Canada it's called a dekle.

Make sure your Shedgual is planned ahead. Eh?

And when in Gander, stay at the world famous SIMBAD HOTEL

Latest resources

Back