• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Can you use 100LL in place of engine oil???

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Just wondering, because a member of the CAP almost did. Fortunately, someone stopped him.

jackotron

Man, Myth
Total Time
Enough
try it an let me know what happens

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
flydrummer said:
Uhhhhhhhh............:eek:

No joke. It occured in the FBO. Guy asked for oil, and was questioned: "What kind"? He then replied "100LL", and was dead seriouse. You should've seen the look on the FBO guys face.

avbug

Total Time
n/a
One hundred weight, yes. One hundred low lead, no.Avgas is used in diluter systems to put in the engine oil prior to shutdown, but it's an older system and does more harm than good.

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
UnAnswerd said:
Just wondering, because a member of the CAP almost did. Fortunately, someone stopped him.
Unpaid bureaucrats are worse than paid ones? I think it was Deming's Principles that said that money was a pacifier, not a motivator.

Bongo

Total Time
One hundred weight, yes. One hundred low lead, no.Avgas is used in diluter systems to put in the engine oil prior to shutdown, but it's an older system and does more harm than good.

I've flown the 180/185 with an oil dilution system, although I was under the impression that this was more for start-up in very cold temperatures (yeah Canada) I had never thought of using 110LL or av-gas as an oil. It was used as a dilution so the oil wouldn't freeze in very cold temperatures.

sky37d

Total Time
1000+
Oh, sure you can. For a while. Then, :puke:
watch out, you'll have a problem.
Heck, you can even run it without oil. Just not very long.

GravityHater

Total Time
nah, he had a brain fart. He wasn't going to put any fuel in the crankcase, he just mixed up the 100LL with Aeroshel 100W or something.

FrozenPilot

Total Time
2000+
The real interesting question is... why is Aeroshell 100 a 50 weight oil? Wouldn't it make more sense to be Aeroshell 50? I know. If it makes sense.....

A Squared

Total Time
FrozenPilot said:
The real interesting question is... why is Aeroshell 100 a 50 weight oil? Wouldn't it make more sense to be Aeroshell 50? I know. If it makes sense.....
Because the two are different grading systems. Aviation oils use a number which is based on a viscosity index called Saybolt Seconds Universal. This comes from the time it takes a certaion sized oil sample to drip through a specified orificie at 210 degrees farenheit. 100 grade, for example takes 100 seconds for a sample to drip through. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) grade, commonly referred to as "weight" is a different grading system

jknight8907

Total Time
So, what about when you use, say, 15/50w? Is it just like a car, 15w when cold, 50w when at temperature?

NEFlyer

Total Time
We had a line guy here try to fuel a Citation XLS through the sh!t chute. That was his last day.

A Squared

Total Time
jknight8907 said:
So, what about when you use, say, 15/50w? Is it just like a car, 15w when cold, 50w when at temperature?
Yeah, the multi viscosity oils give thier grades in SAE values