Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can you use 100LL in place of engine oil???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
try it an let me know what happens

flydrummer said:
Uhhhhhhhh............:eek:

No joke. It occured in the FBO. Guy asked for oil, and was questioned: "What kind"? He then replied "100LL", and was dead seriouse. You should've seen the look on the FBO guys face.

One hundred weight, yes. One hundred low lead, no.Avgas is used in diluter systems to put in the engine oil prior to shutdown, but it's an older system and does more harm than good.

UnAnswerd said:
Just wondering, because a member of the CAP almost did. Fortunately, someone stopped him.
Unpaid bureaucrats are worse than paid ones? I think it was Deming's Principles that said that money was a pacifier, not a motivator.

One hundred weight, yes. One hundred low lead, no.Avgas is used in diluter systems to put in the engine oil prior to shutdown, but it's an older system and does more harm than good.

I've flown the 180/185 with an oil dilution system, although I was under the impression that this was more for start-up in very cold temperatures (yeah Canada) I had never thought of using 110LL or av-gas as an oil. It was used as a dilution so the oil wouldn't freeze in very cold temperatures.

Oh, sure you can. For a while. Then, :puke:
watch out, you'll have a problem.
Heck, you can even run it without oil. Just not very long.

nah, he had a brain fart. He wasn't going to put any fuel in the crankcase, he just mixed up the 100LL with Aeroshel 100W or something.

Latest resources

Back