Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can you purposely deny a paying passenger boarding based on a grudge???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it isn't a "safety of flight" issue you are asking for a big lawsuit from a paying passenger. As for a co worker ect. you will just make a name for yourself as being a A$$. Now if "Scope out RJs" was wanting a ride that would be different. You could deny him since he is quite neurotic and you wouldn't want to be inside a closed cockpit in case he goes off on a psychotic tirade.

Don't worry sport, I don't ride rj's!;)
And as far as a psychotic tirade, only because of the sore your mom gave me from last night!:laugh:

I hope so. It's the only reason I became an airline pilot.

I agree - Nightmareguy is a bit immature on this one. However, if we were talking about that ex-girlfriend who dumped you - then, absolutely make sure she misses her precious flight to see her new, studly boy toy...

First...grow up. Second, in the old days when "captain's authority" meant something you could have probably gotten away with it. Not so much now...

I think I'd be asking "why are people always mean to me"?

Last edited:
Let's say, one day you go up to the ticket counter to get paper work on a flight that you're working. You noticed a guy that used to bully you in high school a few years back or jerk co-worker at a former job or a police officer that was taking his "bad cop" role a little too seriously??? I haven't been in that situation yet, however if I was ... I think I would grab that person's ticket, point them out to the ticket agent and tell them that they can ride stand by on the following flight.

When I mentioned this imaginary scenario to a few fellow pilots, they said that would be a bad idea. They said my ego would be getting in the way and the passenger could file a customer complaint. Could you make up an excuse to the chief pilot like "I felt the security of the flight would be at jeopardy (in the case of the bully or cop for example)?" Even if security was not the case, you just wanted to get back.

What about deny dead-heading a jerk co-worker at your present job, when you know their pairing is finished?

Have you faced this scenario? What did you do or what would you do?

Seriously Billy? I told you I would pay you back all the lunch money with interest.

Let bygones be bygones dude. It was just a couple wedgies and a noogie or 4.

The powers of a captain are pretty much defined by:

The jurisdiction of the applicable avaition authority(in this case the FAA)
The Tokyo invention
or the laws of the country
and then to an extent the rules and regulations of the airlines selling the ticket(usually printed on the back of tickets or in case of internet tickets the boxyou tick on the end when booking.

In general you can deny boarding to any person who appears under the influence to the extent that it may adverserly affect the safety of the flight or any person ( tokyo) that does not follow the legal commands of the captain!!!

In short, No, you can not decline a seat to a person based on personal reasons.

There should be an entire section in your FOM devoted to this.

Aside of any personal grudges, what should be more important is what your rights are.

What if a detained person shows up, do you have to take him? What if a fight brakes out on board. Can you require passengers to help in restraning, what are your legal rights,can you press charges and if so what is the procedure. What if a passenger smokes on board, what do you do??

Very much more pertinant questions than whether you can deny boarding to a person you don't like

Last edited:
I'll tell you what you can't do.

You can't deny boarding to a passenger just because he wouldn't let you cut ahead of him in the coffee line. They'll fire your ass, guaranteed!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back