Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
I am wondering that. I really do not where that would be in FARs. Of course you need to do a 100 hour inspection on it.

And there would be new insurance requirments. But other than that. What regulates the renting of aircraft?

Wankel

Regulations:

Just what you see in Part 91.

-Airplane must be airworthy.
-Landing light at night (91.205)
-Flotation if over water(91.205)
-100 hr inspections if carrying passengers for hire or flight instructing. Note: Some flying clubs "rent" airplanes but some also have strict "no flight instruction" covenants thereby negating the need for 100hr inspections.

Insurance:

My insurance for a Cherokee is $1200/yr for me.
Five years ago it was $5,500/yr to use as an instruction platform and to rent to my students.
Insurance rates have gone up!

Business License/Legalities:

In some areas and at some airports you are required to have business license or sign some other guarantees to the local community. Be very careful.

The insurance thing is the usual "fly" in this ointment.

tarp said:
Regulations:

Just what you see in Part 91.

--100 hr inspections if carrying passengers for hire or flight instructing. Note: Some flying clubs "rent" airplanes but some also have strict "no flight instruction" covenants thereby negating the need for 100hr inspections.

Actually, as long as the instructor is not providing the airplane, or being provided with it, instruction can be given. The rule reads "and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides." It doesnt say no instruction.
This can be found in 91.409(b).

Latest resources

Back