• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Can you help think of any Fatigue related incidents/accidents?

shortbus driver

Total Time
am doing a research paper on fatigue and its effect on accidents / incidents...if any of you can come up with other examples let me know thanks...
So Far I have:
Kalitta DC8 Guantanamo Bay , 93

CO EX EMB 120, 93

Ours in TVC, 07

FEDEX 727 Tallahasee, don't remember year

Shuttle America CLE overun, 08

AA md 80 overun, 99

Korean Air 747 CFIT, 97

Lear CFIT near IAD, 95

mx 747 in halifax, 94

corporate air, kirksville, mo

thanks for your help

labbats

Zulu who?
Total Time
Nothing is more fatiguing that watching the FAA sit on their hands. Maybe things will change with D.W. in charge up there this time around. Who knows?

As far as crashes off the top of my head you have all the ones I'm aware of. Good luck to you.

KDAB

Total Time
The NTSB released a preliminary report of its investigation into a go! airlines flight that flew past it's destination airport in Hilo, Hawaii, apparently because the two pilots fell asleep. No mechanical defects were found. Mesa Air Group, which owns go!, has suspended the two pilots pending separate investigations.

i'm not sure if this is considered fatigue, or if this is what the company considers reduced rest.

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Total Time
1500+
The NTSB released a preliminary report of its investigation into a go! airlines flight that flew past it's destination airport in Hilo, Hawaii, apparently because the two pilots fell asleep. No mechanical defects were found. Mesa Air Group, which owns go!, has suspended the two pilots pending separate investigations.

i'm not sure if this is considered fatigue, or if this is what the company considers reduced rest.

Frontier had a flight into BWI that had the same thing happen.

crj567

Donb't forget about that DC-8 freight crash down in Cuba..... Must have been in the early to mid 90s.... Those guys had been on duty for like 28 hrs!

That was a great example of a screwed and extended crew!

Last edited:

mesaserf

Total Time
19000+
Crash of Paul Wellstone-D Sen MN in 2003

BoilerUP

Citation style...
Total Time
1500+
Crash of Paul Wellstone-D Sen MN in 2003

I thought that was an assassination...at least that's what a few crazies want to believe...

Seriously though, in the Wellstone crash the PIC had pencil-whipped his logbook and flew a King Air waaaaaaaaaay too slow in icing conditions...fatigue wasn't suspected to be a factor.

mesaserf

Total Time
19000+
You’re probably right, I personally have not read the accident report.

I thought I read something in the Minneapolis Tribune a few years ago that mentioned the pilot had pulled a double shift as a nurse (his primary job) before heading to the airport.

Hence the fatigue connection.

PBRstreetgang

Registered Abuser
Total Time
Total
I was on an overnight and got out of bed with a monster kickstand, walked to the hotel bathroom and stubbed my toe going in. Hurt my toe and lost a killer kickstand all at once.
PBR

xkuzme1

As previously briefed!
Total Time

I was on an overnight and got out of bed with a monster kickstand, walked to the hotel bathroom and stubbed my toe going in. Hurt my toe and lost a killer kickstand all at once.
PBR

Funny, but WHAT are you talking about?

great cornholio

Are you threatening me??
Total Time
Haven't looked anything up, but wasn't that icing?

What about the RJ off LEX, no fatigue argument there?

Even though the LEX accident was an early show time I don't think it was fatigue related . I remember hearing that it was a pretty long overnight as in over 12 hours so I doubt the crew rest / fatigue issue showed up. However I have not done any research into it and just going on what I remember reading on FI a while back.

flynryan15

Total Time
2000+
Even though the LEX accident was an early show time I don't think it was fatigue related . I remember hearing that it was a pretty long overnight as in over 12 hours so I doubt the crew rest / fatigue issue showed up. However I have not done any research into it and just going on what I remember reading on FI a while back.

To quote the NTSB " Even though the pilots had to wake up at a time when most normal people are sleeping we do not believe fatigue was the controlling factor" They then went on to say that they were able to prove that they had 6-7 hrs of rest behind the hotel room door with no interruptions.

PBRstreetgang

Registered Abuser
Total Time
Total
Funny, but WHAT are you talking about?
I was tired and stubbed my toe, that's the accident. The incident was the loss of kickstand. This is F/I, since when do I have to make sense?
PBR

Last edited: