Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can you fly experimentals international?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

I am talking about flying experimentals like central america carribean etc. I recall a reg saying that you cannot but can't remember and don't have my FAR. Anybody ever done this, is it a big deal?

Rally said:
I am talking about flying experimentals like central america carribean etc. I recall a reg saying that you cannot but can't remember and don't have my FAR. Anybody ever done this, is it a big deal?
Perfectly legal, just as Global Flyer just showed.

Ive heard you can, but its a PITA. My friend whos a Top 100 NW Capt owns a 177 and would like to have a homebuilt besides his RV6 for long distance but said the hassle of going international is not worth it, hence why he keeps the 177

The fundamental problem with experimentals going overseas lies not with the foreign governments, but with ours. Every experimental airplane has restrictions applied to it associated with it's type certificate. Most of the time, for an RV, for instance, it would mean things like not for hire. The entry permits for most countries only require that it is currently certified aircraft. If your 177 has a current inspection, it can go. If your RV has a current condition check, it can go.

It's not as big a deal as you might think.

This is a geat question, worth getting a definative answer. i was told that you could not go "international" on a pink slip registration. My T-28 is listed as experimental/exhibition and has a pink slip. Something about customs will not let you back in, I think.
My limitations are pretty much wide open, no mileage limits, just can't fly over populated areas and such. Which is imposible to comply with since it is based in South Florida. Other than the Everglades, everyplace is populated!! Was asked to go to an airshow in Canada once, the Canadian version of the FAA had cleared me into their country, but could not get a good answer down here, so I passed.

Hung

You are right, a definitive answer is in order, but at OSH, several kitplane people said the problem isn't the foreign goverments, only ours.

I'm currently flying an experimental king air. It's got what's called a market survey satus which just means that it's less restrictive. Our certificate and manual states what we can and can not do.
No international, must be kept in the 48 continuous states, supposed to make an effort to not fly over populated areas. You get the drift.

I'm actually working on the very same issue because i have a trip to belize and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Might have to get them to re issue the cert to allow. I recently had a friend pick up an experimental lancair that did trips to south america about twice a week. I didn't ask. :) it was on the up and up the guy who owned it had a buisness or family or something down there.

Experimental-Amateur Built is a different class than Experimental-Marketing.

The pink slip that will not allow you to travel international is the temporary registration, not the Experimental-Exhibition that the T-28 is categorized in. A pink airworthiness certificate is different from a pink registration. The registration does have the international restriction silk screened diagonally across it.

If you are a member of AOPA, give them a call to get the straight scoop. If you're not a member, join up.

I own and operate an RV-6. The problems with taking them internationally are exaggerated. AOPA and the EAA are your best source for the official answer. The confusion comes from the Airworthiness Cert "officially" being limited to the US.

From my experience:
Canada has an authorization letter on their "FAA" web site. This letter provides you with authorization to operate a US registered homebuilt in Canadian airspace and Canadian airports. There are the typical requirements listed on this document.

The Bahamas and Mexico have a very liberal policy regarding US registered homebuilts. Contact AOPA or EAA for the details.

The bottom line is that US registered homebuilts have proven themselves and these countries want our tourist dollars.

Latest resources

Back