• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can you descend below DH or MDA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
btw...in case you're wondering, you ain't been cold until you've sat in a cold airplane for a couple of hours because you didn't know a particular nuance of the heater

Likewise you haven't been hot for the same reasons. I melted the soles on a pair of sneakers thanks to an old janitrol once. Not sure which is better freezing or sweating.

You haven't read a single word that's been written, have you?

There is a big difference between the way most examiners give checkrides and how real flying works. I know at least 3 examiners that will bust you for going below DH while doing a missed and all of them have a background strictly in small GA aircraft.

There is a big difference between the way most examiners give checkrides and how real flying works. I know at least 3 examiners that will bust you for going below DH while doing a missed and all of them have a background strictly in small GA aircraft.
Bongo! You got it.

In 99% of the GA training aircraft where almost everyone gets his/her initial IR, you CAN 'touch' the DH while applying pitch and power to 'skim' the DH and proceed mised, which is what a lot of examiners want to see, and it is how it gets ingrained in the system, but then you get into the real world, and see how you have to 'change your interpretation' to 'fit the actual conditions'.

I guess thats why the airlines have to give checkrides every 6 months and line checks every year. If they don't everyone with "change their interpretation" to " fit the actual conditions" :) thats what i loved about instructing. everyone just made stuff up and pawned it off as standard.

Here is some reading material. The last part labeled "DH Dilema" discusses this situation.

http://www.terps.com/ifrr/jul95.pdf

Good reference. I pasted the pertinent section below.

DH dilemma
When descending on an electronic glideslope to DH, the FAR simply says that approach cannot be continued below DH unless one or more of the runway-specific visual cues (or ALS) is sighted. Most single-pilot operators view this as looking up from the panel at DH and making the decision to either continue visually or miss the approach. While this is certainly practical, it isn’t what the “head-shed” has in mind. The subject is sorely lacking in FAA directives for general aviation, but it’s covered quite well in FAA directives to air carrier inspectors. The visual assessment must be completed not later than DH. The aircraft is permitted to descend through DH without the required visual cues, but only to the extent required to transition to the missed approach climb. Granted, it’s an honor system for the single-pilot operator!

This may be the first time I have ever heard anyone other than an instrument student get 91.175 wrong (seriously). It's really not that difficult. DA and MDA are not the same thing.

If you don't want to go below DA on a missed approach, don't, but please don't teach anyone else the FAA forbids it.

ok.... alot there. You can't go below MDA and you cant continue the approach below DH. Your not continuing the approach your going missed.

You will go below DH 100% of the time unless you have a JATO bottle. If you want to go missed 50 early to stay above DH than go ahead they will bust you on your type ride because you couldent fly the profile.

Why can't the regs be written this way?:beer:

Latest resources

Back