Pedro said:
What's TAWS?

Tactical Assaul... No, that's not it...

Terminal Aircraft War... Nope...

Take All Whirlybirds Sou... RATS!

He!!, I don't know what it means either! :D TC

Pedro said:
What's TAWS?

Terrain Awarness Warning System. And i do not believe that it is the same as GPWS. GPWS I believe are warnings such as...

To low gear...
To low flaps...
Dont sink...
Sink rate...
Windshear...
Opstical...
Etc

TAWS you will get warnings lie...

Terrain...
Terrain Terrain PULL UP!!!
etc.

Your MEL will tell you if can deferr it or not. If anyone can expand on this, that would be good!!

Have fun!!

EGPWS = Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System = TAWS = Terrain Awareness Warning System. One is a trademark name the other is FAA. Class A & B.

He is right on. Lots of pilots don't realize EGPWS IS TAWS. I believe Allied Signal came out with GPWS (I've heard 121 guys call it Jip-Whiz), then got bought by Honeywell. Honeywell then quietly trademaked the name EGPWS while giving the FAA input and guidence on the development, REGULATION, and implemenatation of TAWS before it was even on the market. EGPWS got to be a name that is used the same way Coke is when asking for a soft drink. It was a slick move, and Honeywell sued a lot of other TAWS manufactures for copyright/patent infringements, then got sued. Here is a link that explains more ( http://www.sandel.com/sandel_news_10-30-2003.php )

EGPWS is not a system in itself, it is nothing more than a form of TAWS. The FAA says you are required to have TAWS, not EGPWS. While EGPWS satisfies the TAWS requirement, you are by no means required to have EGPWS to meet that TAWS requirement. Just like CVS said, Class A or B.
cvsfly said:
EGPWS = Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System = TAWS = Terrain Awareness Warning System. One is a trademark name the other is FAA. Class A & B.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back