Can you Buy a 135 Certificate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

knelson

I have some folks that are interested in buying a Citation 550 and would like to put it on 135. Just curious if you can purchase an existing certificate or if every operator must develop their own with the wonderful support and customer service of inspector friendly down at the local FSDO. Thanks for any info.

Kevin

sure can

You find someone who has one and offer to purchase it. Now if it does not have CE-550 on the certificate you will have to get the FAA apporaval to operate the CE-550. It would be best to buy one that all ready had jets on the certicate perferrably CE-550's

certificates

Buying certificates is not an easy thing.

First of all the FAA does not have to recognize it at all with a change of ownership or substantial change in management.

While it will give you a manual, you are submitting everything just slightly ahead of where you would be with a new certificate.

To get a certificate without it being applicable to the type you are going to fly just makes you that closer to being a new certificate.

copied from the general board

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by avbug
Put the airplane on someone else's certificate, and operate it under that certificate. Typically you'll be charged something in the order of a 2,000 fee, and naturally you'll be subject to that firm as though you are an employee (technically, you are, even if you pay your own wages).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is $2,000.00 per month a pretty standard management fee to put a jet (C-550, B400, Lear) on someone else's 135 certificate? If not, what would be a typical range for management fees per month?

The reason I ask is the company I am working for now has been approached by an individual that would like to put his jet on our certificate. He told me he has one monthly management quote as low as a couple hundred dollars per month. We can't justify putting this aircraft on our certificate for a couple hundred dollars per month unless ther are additional fees added elsewhere in the operational cost. Why would a company be willing to increase their liability and manage an aircraft this cheap? We will have to hire additional pilots and pass on all fixed costs to the aircraft owner (insurance, crew costs, training fees, hangar costs, etc.).

We could make some money if we charter this aircraft out in addition to the agreed upon flight time for the owner but that is a big IF. What are others doing?

With a littlw browsing you can find these certificates for sale. Hree is one result after a quick search:
For Sale
Single Pilot 135 Business

Description:
Single pilot day/night certificate valid for any commercial pilot meeting Part 135 flight requirements for type of operation, and any aircraft meeting Part 135 certification requirements. Clean certificate, no violations, can be used to support all standard charter, fire, recon, etc. operations

Buy this certificate and save yourself about 18 months and a lot of paperwork, time and money. Sale is of certificate only, no assets or contracts associated. Valid for operation anywhere within the lower 48 of the US of A. Could add Alaska with work with Anchorage FSDO, but would require some extra steps.

Price: $20,000 obo Phone: 307 345 3319

I also know of a gentleman out of California who 's brother-in-law is with the local FSDO and they together write the 135's themselves for $30k. They are currently writing one for a citation.

No

You can not buy a 135 certificate, you can obtain one, through all the certification, inspection and proving runs required by the FAA. That can add up to well over $50,000 depending on equipment.

You can buyout a 135 operator and assume their certificate, maybe that is what you are referring to.

You can attach yourself to a 135 operator (get on their certificate) with a formal agreement. You will be required to bring your MX Dept, Training to 135 standards, possibly additional insurance. You officially become part of that operator's certificate, so expect other requirements such as cleanliness, uniforms, customer service, etc.

As far as monthly fee's. Forget about it. Arange a dollar per hour agreement with the Operator. Monthly fee's are crazy unless it is for additional insurance and maybe service fees such as records, dispatch, etc.

I have heard Averitt Air in Nashville is good about doing what you want. They have reorganized a bit this last year, but I hear they are solid and growing steadily in the Charter industry.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back