Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

legendskid_44

Need a job
so i was told to find out what this profiling is. all i got was, its a way for the airlines to teach their pilots about taking off the same way, landing the same way, briefing the same way...every time. or i may be wrong. any help?

aka Standard Operating Procedure. If you fly with 10 different pilots, all 10 of those pilots will fly, do, say, and operate the same way.

aka Standard Operating Procedure. If you fly with 10 different pilots, all 10 of those pilots will fly, do, say, and operate the same way.

you would think so wouldnt ya

Legend, you're description is pretty good about a profile. Think of it this way. Here is my profile for flying an ILS in the Falcon 20. Its about 90% the same each time. I might wait on landing gear going into Dulles because I intercept the glideslope like 13 miles out, so I don't want to be too slow. Anyway, here is the profile:

Procedure Turn Inbound: 65% N1, 190 Knots, call for Flaps 10
Prior to FAF Glideslope Movement: 65% N1, 170 Knots, call for Flaps 25
One Dot Above GS Intercept: Call Gear Down and Before Landing Checks
Glideslope Intercept: Flaps 40% and adjust N1 to fly at Vref +10
Touchdown: Adjust N1 to fly Vref +5 at 50' and keep power in until 10'
Rollout: Speed Brakes, Reverse Thrust, on tiller at 80 Knots and stow Reverse at 70 Knots

That's pretty much it. A profile is using a given power or configuration to get the same performance each time, obviously depending on ISA, weight, etc. Its not used just by the "airlines", and should be used in some fashion by everyone. I used to use it in the 172 when training and then taught it when teaching. Repetition, repetition. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
A profile is a set description of the events to take place during a phase of flight. For example, my airline's takeoff profile contains the callouts made during takeoff, when flaps are retracted, when accelerations are made, when the initial turn is made, when the autopilot comes on, when checklists are called for, etc.

We have roughly 20 profiles... for everything from normal takeoffs to single engine go arounds to stalls (for training in the sim) to ILS PRM breakouts. Its all just a perscribed timeline of events. This is so that when you're flying as a crew, everyone does everything the same way every time and on your very first takeoff with the other pilot, you already know exactly how its going to happen.

Latest resources

Back