Can someone explain Flight ID for me

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G3G4

A question came up within our flight department with regards to Flight ID.

What code should we be putting in our transponder in the Flight ID box?

What does flight id do?

your tail number example. N1234AB, or if you operate under a call sign like DAL123, you would put that in. My understanding is, it is part of the mode S operation and not used yet in the US. I think some of the advance systems in Europe might be able to see the Transponder transmitting your call sign from this feature.

Last edited:
If you're using your N number as your call sign, I don't believe you need to enter anything as the Mode-S transponder automatically down links that data, if I recall.

It's primarily used if you are using a flight number, such as the airlines, so that there is no mis-match. And correlation can be made in downlink.

If you're using your N number as your call sign, I don't believe you need to enter anything as the Mode-S transponder automatically down links that data, if I recall.

It's primarily used if you are using a flight number, such as the airlines, so that there is no mis-match. And correlation can be made in downlink.

our last two new airplanes came from the factory with the N # preset already. Is it possible to leave it blank with the Primus radios?

It's for Mode-S ops. Most advanced avionics (Primus, Honeywell, Etc) that have mode S transponders are usually factory preset with your "N" ID and are auto-linked so you don't do anything. Air Carriers, Military operators usually have the ID manual option when they change flight numbers or call signs. You can use the diagnostic mode to see if your ID is preset on most Mode S transponders. Mode S is in operation in Canada, Most Oceanic, Some Asian and all EU ATC Facilities. Some day the FAA will jump on board with Mode S like the rest of the world. Our G450 and 550 are preset.

Latest resources

Back