Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can a SIC Proficiency Check Substitute as a Flight Review?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GEUAviator

Has anyone else used a part 121 checkride as BFR?

I'll be on vacation soon and hope to check out a Cessna from an FBO. I was thinking about taking a copy of my checkride record with me as proof of the checkride. I'm assuming most FBOs would accept this? If not, I suppose I could use the checkout as a BFR as well.

GEUAviator

Most certainly.

(Hey, I figured I'd use TWO different words to say the same thing as the previous posters...);)

Yes, ref 61.56(d). If you intend to use your checkout as a BFR, the instructor is required to give you 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight instruction, ref 61.56(a).

You knew that part since you are a CFI.

§ 61.56 Flight review.

[url="http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/e/ecfr/graphics/ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif"]http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/e/ecfr/graphics/ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top[/url]

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training. The review must include:

(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and

(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

(b) Glider pilots may substitute a minimum of three instructional flights in a glider, each of which includes a flight to traffic pattern altitude, in lieu of the 1 hour of flight training required in paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—

(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor and

(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

The FAR's are always a pretty good place to look.

Latest resources

Back