Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Callsign Orgins for PSA, TSA, and Air Tran??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think waterski was because TSA started out flying vacationers to Lake of the Ozarks...but not sure.

Psa

The same question was asked once by CLT approach. The pilot explained that it is because Jetstream International Airlines (PSA's predecessor) had a blue streak somewhere on their paint scheme.

citrus

Just a stab in the dark- Citrus is another name for oranges and Airtran started in MCO and oranges grow in Florida. Kind of clever, isn't it?

BoilerUP said:
I think waterski was because TSA started out flying vacationers to Lake of the Ozarks...but not sure.
That's right. I think the flow of name changes started with Ozark airlines and then Air Midwest, Trans World Express and then Trans States.

WhiteCloud said:
That's right. I think the flow of name changes started with Ozark airlines and then Air Midwest, Trans World Express and then Trans States.

Actually, I think the first name was Resort Air, then it became Trans States.

SiuDude said:
The same question was asked once by CLT approach. The pilot explained that it is because Jetstream International Airlines (PSA's predecessor) had a blue streak somewhere on their paint scheme.

That's right. When US Air bought JIA they changed the company name to have "brand recognition" from the old Pacific Southwest Airline they bought out also but kept the callsign from JIA.

You guys have it all wrong. Bluestreak came to be from a drunken bet. The Blue Man group was hanging out in an airport bar in PHL and at some point clothes were shed and one of them gained access to the ramp. He was spotted by security and then he ran faster than Forrest Gump after 12 Dr. Peppers. Just as a PSA flight was cleared to land, the FO stated "Clear to land WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT BLUE STREAK 27L"

The rest as we say my friends is history.

N tha jungle said:
Just a stab in the dark- Citrus is another name for oranges and Airtran started in MCO and oranges grow in Florida. Kind of clever, isn't it?

Plus it was better than the previous "critter" callsign....AKA ValueJet

Latest resources

Back