• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling from Somalia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
don't think so, if he did is there a cheap way to call on those?

From my personal experience, my unit took two from here before we went over. Once we were there, the only restriction we had was to make sure we don't stay on them too long if someone else was waiting to use it. I would not have a clue as to the actual expense of using them. I am fairly certain in our case Uncle Sam took care of the tab. Andy, you have a great idea with the MARS radio. We used them on the aircraft on our transits all the time.

there are ways to configure Skype (or any other VOIP type service) to forward a call to another number.

In other words, whatever phone number he can be reached at in Somalia, you can get a "virtual number" in whatever area code, and when that is dialed, it forwards to the Somalia number.

of course, this costs, and somebody must pay. BUT, it is a work-around for not having calling cards in your pocket.

also, ask him to hook up with the marine guards at the embassy (if one exists). those guys know the system better than anybody, even better than the Ambassador. they will tell him the best way to do it.

Good idea on using the voip from the other end, I have vonage and will give them a call to see if a Somali area code is doable. I know that you can get a code from just about anywhere (will see how true that is).

Side note: Recently I was reading about the lack of infrastructure (land lines, switching stations, power, just about all you need to make a phone system work)in Somalia, made worse by a total lack of central govt. Which it also said has made it a wild-west of cell operators, because there are no rules just a bribe here are there. They can put in new technology and put up towers anywhere without zoning boards and impact surveys etc.

Last edited:
Somalia is one vacation destination that I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but I've been to other places that pose the same types of logistical problems.

Internet likely suks rox, so VOIP is out of there.

Access to DSN is likely limited to something like 15 minutes/wk and/or there's a line for hours just to use a DSN phone.

Sat phones are prohibitively expensive.

He probably is restricted to a small area, so visiting the US embassy is likely out of the question.

My recommendation may seem a bit off the wall, but you may want to send him an HF radio which would allow him to get a phone patch through a MARS (Military Affiliated Radio System) station. They can patch phone calls through commercial lines in the US, which will only be a US-US long distance call.
Before going too deep down this road, contact a local ham radio club to check on the feasibility of such a thing. It looks like you can pick up a good used HF radio fairly inexpensively.
Also, if your brother in law can get access to his unit's HF radios on a regular basis, he could simply call a MARS station.

Good luck; I'm sure your sister would be very appreciative to get a chance to talk to her husband on a regular basis. I will check into this a bit deeper before my next Southwest Asia TDY, so any information that you find out about this would be appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head. I found out the internet is slower than average dial-up. Making even email fairly painful. And SKype from his end out of the question.

The HF thing is thinking outside the box big time! Time to find an HF club here, and ask some questions!

Anyone know if soldiers are restricted from having personal radio gear like that?

I think you are right about his movement outside the camp being limited.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!-kingaira90

Vonage- no good

I just called vonage and asked if you can get a local area code for Somalia. The answer was no. She implied that you could for the following countries if anyone is interested. Although, she may have been a touch confused. The following can be called an unlimited amount for free from the US. Well not free, for only a monthly fee, then unlimited calling at no extra charge. For VONAGE, the rate to call TO Somalia is about $.70 a min. Might be their highest rate, or close to it. Although you wouldn't have those calling card surcharges etc. The search goes on!

Andorra
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Bangladesh - Chittagong
Bangladesh - Dhaka (Dacca)
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Chile
China (including Mobile)
Colombia - Barranquilla
Colombia - Bogota
Colombia - Cali
Colombia - Medellin
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
French Antilles/Martinique

Guadeloupe
Guam
Hong Kong (Including Mobile)
Hungary
Iceland
Israel
Japan

Malaysia (except Johar - Bahru)
Mexico - Acapulco
Mexico - Cancun
Mexico - Chihuahua
Mexico - Ciudad Juarez
Mexico - Guadalajara

Mexico - Merida
Mexico - Mexico City
Mexico - Monterrey
Mexico - Puebla
Mexico San Luis Potosi
Mexico - Tijuana
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand

Poland
Portugal

Russia - St. Petersburg
Saipan (including Mobile)
San Marino (including Mobile)
Singapore (including Mobile)
Slovenia
South Korea

Thailand (including Mobile)

Turkey - Istanbul (Asian Side)
Turkey - Istanbul (European Side)
[ U.S. Virgin Islands

Venezuela

The HF thing is thinking outside the box big time! Time to find an HF club here, and ask some questions!

Anyone know if soldiers are restricted from having personal radio gear like that?

Here's a link to search for a ham radio club. http://www.hamdepot.com/
My bet is that you'll find a few very passionate ham radio geeks with some great suggestions.

I don't think that there are restrictions on personal radio gear, but you'd want to ask your brother in law before embarking on this.

I've used aircraft HF many times in the past; several times, we've used the MARS system. Been a long time, though, which is why I'd talk to some ham radio operators. They'd probably be able to come up with a great solution for both the right equipment and the best means of communicating.
They may even suggest going with two HFs; one for your sister and one for your brother in law.

Latest resources

Back