Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumby

Gettin' my JERK on!
Hey Kids...Anyone have a clue about a call sign I heard in the NE, that sounded like "Georgian"?

Gumby said:
Hey Kids...Anyone have a clue about a call sign I heard in the NE, that sounded like "Georgian"?
You are right, it is GEORGIAN. It is the call sign for Air Ontario. When I was at MIDWAY, they would park at the gate next to ours at SDF with a BEECH 1900 when we were doing evening trips.

Hmmm, You say the boy's from Canada huh?? Ok, Thanks..

Air Georgian is NOT Air Ontario. Air Ontario was merged into Air Canada Regional, which is currently known as Air Canada Jazz. Air Ontario's call sign was 'Ontario.'

Air Georgian was a third tier regional airline in Canada...Air Canada being the major, Air Ontario being the regional, and Air Georgian doing the thinner work with their B1900s that were too thin for even Air Ontario's DHC-8s.

They were not folded into the Air Canada Regional/AC Jazz family and I believe they still exist.

JTrain

CALL SIGN

JTrain said:
Air Georgian is NOT Air Ontario. Air Ontario was merged into Air Canada Regional, which is currently known as Air Canada Jazz. Air Ontario's call sign was 'Ontario.'

and Air Georgian doing the thinner work with their B1900s that were too thin for even Air Ontario's DHC-8s.

JTrain
Since you brought this up, the more I think about it, the more I think you are absolutley right. The 1900's were painted the same as AIR ONTARIO airplanes, but if memory serves, the words AIR ALLIANCE were painted on the airplane. Does this sound right to you JTrain?:confused: :confused:

Yes, that sounds right. They park near us in SYR, ROC, & ALB.

Air Alliance was the name of Air Canada's regional within the province of Quebec. I'm not sure exactly of the sequence but somehow Air Nova, Air Canada's Atlantic province regional, took over Air Alliance's DHC-8s & some (or possibly all of their 1900s). The other 1900s became Air Georgian, which is basically a third tier regional up their. Note third tier in pay only; I talked to some of their guys and if you think it's tough to get a job down here, their B1900 FOs had 3000+ hours when hired, and no prospects for upgrading. Real professional guys - its just too bad their Canadian pilot job market is pretty depressed. IMHO Air Georgian should have been slapped into the Air Canada Jazz family. I'm not exactly sure of the ownership of the co.

As for the black paint scheme, that was kind of weird. Air Alliance's paint scheme was mostly white with reddish trim, at least on their DHC-8s that I saw years ago. I don't know where/when the black came from. Didn't seem to jive with the Air Canada paint scheme, despite them being a partner.

Perhaps somebody else has more info there.

JTrain

Latest resources

Back