• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Call for Release

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The controller in the tower does not usually have discretion as to when to call the TMU for release. That procedure is spelled out by the center in question.
For example, ZJX requests estimated wheels up times from aircraft 30 minutes prior to departure. So, when coming out of MCO or PNS to ATL, you can call ground or clearance, and give them an ETD.
Mobile, which is located in ZHU, obviously has a different procedure dictated by Houston Center, and does not want you calling for release until beginning taxi.

So you are saying the decision on when or how to get a time is up to the Center controlling that area and not the tower? The tower just works based on what the Center is telling them?

That overweight 1900 in CLT was like a decade ago. Regardless, sinkrate, this was just a stupid side discussion while I was waiting for you to get back on that whole "MZFW to MLW is only a 3K split so I can't launch on a 45 minute flight" thing. Have you conceeded that one or do you still think you have a point in there somewhere?

Trust me, I'd much rather talk about that than some old w&b policy.

You completely miss the point. If an alternate is required and ATC doesn't keep their end of the bargain it forces me to do one of two things. Depart with less than the FAR required fuel or land overweight. Either way I get caught by the automated systems. The only way around it is to bump the jump seater and/or non revs to board more fuel. For the other posters I am known as a CA that rarely takes more than the minimum FAR required fuel - and rarely diverts. I know how to plan fuel.

I get the feeling from your comments you either cheat alot because you can get away with it at your carrier or you just bump the jump seater. In many years I have never left a jump seater behind. I don't care how pissed ATC gets at me - if they can't plan it's their problem. On that note ATC did a very good job for many years. It is only recently it has become an issue.

I never bumped the JS unless revenue was also being denied.

I'd still like to know when you have ever been up against max landing weight (short flight with small burn) and max take off weight (full of pax and full of fuel). If it's such a short flight to worry about max landing then you shouldn't need that much gas to worry about max takeoff weight unless, as I suggested, your alternate is far far away.

Please give an actual city pair with an actual alternate where this actually happened to spark your "rant". Thank you.

I never bumped the JS unless revenue was also being denied.

I'd still like to know when you have ever been up against max landing weight (short flight with small burn) and max take off weight (full of pax and full of fuel). If it's such a short flight to worry about max landing then you shouldn't need that much gas to worry about max takeoff weight unless, as I suggested, your alternate is far far away.

Please give an actual city pair with an actual alternate where this actually happened to spark your "rant". Thank you.

You clearly have no understanding of the problem.

You're not going to post a city pair are you?

Also, I don't remember ever being up against the MZFW in the CRJ. I flew many 50 pax loads and can't say I remember a single time where MZFW was the limiting factor. Not saying it never happened, but I don't recall it.

My logbook shows 3,300 hours total in the CL-65 with just over 1,000 PIC.

I'll give you a city pair: FWA-ORD. About a 25 min flt. You are limited by the landing weight, so basically your max takeoff weight is max landing weight+burnoff, or about 48,400. If an alternate is required, its normally a 48 pax airplane. In the winter time, I get bumped all the time.

Okay, thanks. I see the problem.

Things the Captain should do to help out jumpseaters.... drop the Alternate and its fuel if one isn't needed, lower the Hold fuel, don't take any Extra fuel, find a closer alternate if one is needed. Now that it is summer, there are more kids on the planes and we are using summer weights.

The first thing I check is whether or not we have an alternate, and is it needed? I try to take 50+1 on every flight.

As someone else pointed out, sometimes the fueler is already at the aircraft by the time you're unloading your Pax. Then add that your paperwork is being printed up in ops right now and by the time you run out there you're too late. Doesn't happen often but it definitely happens. If I think it'll be an issue I try to get to the fueler before they're done.

Climb Via

Here is a question about the new climb via clearances.

Coming out our Ontario CA the other day.

I got the PDC. It red "Cilmb Via Sid except maintain 14 thousand"

Now there is a hold down at 7k. Does the above clearance delete the hold down?

My guess is no. But as usual they canceled the hold down on first contact with departure.

Just wondering.

ID

Latest resources

Back