Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Call approach when flying under the bravo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just be polite...give them ur tail-num. and let them get back to you.

I was flying back from MSN and approach offered ILS 14L transitioning to 06C. I asked for a transition around 10PM on Thanksgiving and he came back asking if we wanted to fly over the field. Usually, whenever I do the "City Tour," I just ask if they can offer a transition; usually, it is not an issue. And I would say 90% plus of the time, they offer flight following at any time during the day (125.0).

For the city thing, I would at least tell them what you are doing. People in the city seem to get nervous.

Last edited:
I always make it a practice, when over flying or underflying a controlled airspace like Class B or Class C (and above D), to atleast check in with the controllers and let them know my altitude, and that I'll be flying overhead and monitoring their frequency.

Especially if I'm flying real close to the edge of their airspace (vertically or horizontally). That way if anything special comes up, or if they wish to give me traffic advisories, they know I'll be on the frequency to receive the call.

I've never had a controller act like I was bothering them by doing it.

User997 said:
I always make it a practice, when over flying or underflying a controlled airspace like Class B or Class C (and above D), to atleast check in with the controllers and let them know my altitude, and that I'll be flying overhead and monitoring their frequency.

Especially if I'm flying real close to the edge of their airspace (vertically or horizontally). That way if anything special comes up, or if they wish to give me traffic advisories, they know I'll be on the frequency to receive the call.

I've never had a controller act like I was bothering them by doing it.

I usually do the same thing. I also want to keep track of where their approaches are...if I'm going to be passing by any segment of an approach there, I'll let them know what I'm doing. Even if they're using the ILS but I'm over the VOR they may have someone practicing the VOR...I like the second set of eyes to help out.

-mini

Hmm... just curious. Controllers in the approach and center locations should be able to see you if you are squawked 1200 still right?

Alin10123 said:
Hmm... just curious. Controllers in the approach and center locations should be able to see you if you are squawked 1200 still right?

Yes, you appear as an unknown VFR target, but the radar still displays groundspeed and altitude (assuming you have mode C)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back