Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Varig

Hi guys,

I was wondering which one of these two states has more opportunities for flight instructors and Part 135 jobs. It seems like that Florida has way more companies and flight schools than California. Just curious to hear what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance.

For initial 135 gigs I'd say flying for Ameriflight out of OAK or BUR would be a great experience. They hire guys right at 135 mins and all that single pilot IFR would be great.

Cost of living is high in California, though, expect to eat Ramen and sleep on a couch for many years.

Florida seems to have more opportunity to get your foot in the door, in my opinion. With the exception of Ameriflight most of the part 135 and 91 departments in Cali. are somewhat difficult to get in with unless you know someone there. I would atleast get a job offer prior to making a gamble and moving to one of these states. Luck and being in the right place at the right time can also determine whether or not you will be successful in obtaining the job.... Problem with Ameriflight is they are still renting the right seat out so to get "hired" and "paid'' you will atleast need part 135 captain minimums.. At your flight times though this should not be a concern since you are in upwards of 2000+.

good luck,

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
Problem with Ameriflight is they are still renting the right seat out so to get "hired" and "paid'' you will atleast need part 135 captain minimums..
When I worked there(many years ago), we had a....well...much more DESCRIPTIVE phrase for it.. :D None of the "FOs"(and I use that term loosely) were hired by the company as far as I know. It's not a great company, but a good place to get some quality time quick.

I'm having so much fun at Florida Tech flying Pipers... If you wanna fly in Florida during the summer, you better wake up early every morning. By 11 or so, roads get hot and send air upwards, which makes entire flight really bumpy. Also, there's famous thunderstorm every afternoon, which makes VFR training impossible.

Ah Florida...well...you can actually swim in FL...no state income tax...wide selection of tiki bars. Been here all my life. Many airplanes, but even more pilots though. You are right, there many flight schools and CFI gigs here.

KE093 said:
I'm having so much fun at Florida Tech flying Pipers... If you wanna fly in Florida during the summer, you better wake up early every morning. By 11 or so, roads get hot and send air upwards, which makes entire flight really bumpy. Also, there's famous thunderstorm every afternoon, which makes VFR training impossible.

Though the best times to get VFR time in Florida during the summer is the morning and later afternoon. It's almost all VMC during winter, spring and fall.

In fact for thermals the worst time of year (or best time for sailplane pilots), is Spring and Fall.

Also last time I checked we are one of the top states for VMC weather year long.

Last edited:
Looks like Florida won. The cost of living in Florida is also alot cheaper than California right? Things are so expensive in California these days, it's unbelieveable.

Latest resources

Back