Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
I have a trip scheduled to go to this spot over the next two days.

What is Calgary like? Is there some sort of Stampede oriented gift shop open the rest of the year?

Calgary's pretty neat. I've been there a few times. The city intially busted wide open in the 70's with a lot of oil money, then expanded yet again in '88 with the winter Olympics. Alberta beef in my opinion is the best there is, be sure to try and grab a steak while you're there. You'll also find that with the way the exchange rate is right now it would be in your best interest to take along a shopping list. Alberta is one of the few provinces in Canada that doesn't have a PST (provincial sales tax). You'll still pay the 7% GST but that is refundable on purchases above .... sorry can't remember the amount. If you have time the Banff is right outside the city, a part of the Rockie Mountains definitly worth seeing. Not too sure when the stampede is but its quite the event, there's always stampede related stuff for sale year round. Hope you enjoy your trip. If you find anything else exciting be sure to fill us in.

I'll definitely do the steak.

I'll suprise my father with some mountie stuff. He was RCMP in the 1940's.

Calgary is a very nice city. As was mentionned above, Banff is also a very good place to visit. Lots to see and do.

The Stampede usually begins in early July, but there ought to be some hussle and bussle going around there this time of year.

Enjoy the trip!

GST

Save your receipts. When you clear Canadian customs ask for a GST rebate form. After you exit the country, as a non-resident, you can claim a rebate on the 7% tax you paid on your items. You will have to wait between 6 weeks and 6 months, but you will get 50% of your GST back.
As far as the exchange goes, you can check it out on the web. Usually you should get about 40% on the US dollar. Change your dineros at a bank if you can, that way you'll get the best rate.
Calgary is a really cool city -- enjoy, and don't miss Banff if you get a chance.
:)

I stayed at the Sheraton Cavalier. The steak place downstairs was great. A 8 oz fillet was to die for.

I was struck by the fact that there are a great many people from far away countries in Calgary. It reminded me of New York!!!

Right now, I'm on a ground stop in Toronto, where we eventually dropped off the pax. Bad weather in Pa. Free internet hookup in the pilot lounge at Avitat Skyservice. Nice trip.

Latest resources

Back