CAL to install "live TV"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Buried in this mornings "newswire" on Jetblue's Q results, was the little ditty that "Live TV" has signed a longterm deal with CAL to install and service their entertainment equipment on 737 and and 757 a/c. It doesn't specify whether it's TV or not, as I think FL has a deal just for the satellite radio.

This is rather surprising, as Legacy carriers have done their best to stay away from giving any revenue to JBLU. DL went in another direction, and all the other Legacy's have turned their nose's up with any type of live TV. It should also be noted that a poll recently said that "internet" service is not a high priority to travelers....mmmm.

If it's TV, this deal may pressure other carriers to fall in line, thus meaning more revenue for JBLU and companies that offer similar IFE.

:pimp:​

LiveTV -- Continental Airlines Agreement

LiveTV, a wholly owned subsidiary of JetBlue, announced today that it has entered into a long-term agreement with Continental Airlines to install and service its inflight entertainment system on Continental's new generation Boeing 737 and 757-300 aircraft. LiveTV has provided live television programming and other services to JetBlue since its inception. LiveTV also serves seven other airlines around the world with its inflight entertainment products, including DIRECTV-based live television programming and XM Satellite Radio, and wireless services, including a handheld platform for in-cabin sales.

Continental Airlines to Offer Live Television and E-Mail on Domestic Flights
Tuesday January 29, 9:30 am ET Service includes 36 channels of live television programming provided by DIRECTV(R) and onboard Wi-Fi services including inflight wireless connectivity for e-mail and instant messaging
HOUSTON, Jan. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) today announced that it has entered into an agreement with LiveTV, L.L.C. (LiveTV) that will allow Continental to offer 36 channels of live, inflight satellite-based television programming provided by DIRECTV®, the nation's leading satellite television provider, at every seat on Continental's new generation aircraft. The service is expected to be available to customers on flights operating within the continental United States beginning in January 2009.

In addition, Continental will be introducing onboard Wi-Fi services including e-mail and instant messaging connectivity offered by LiveTV.
"Our customers want more inflight entertainment and communication options," said Larry Kellner, Continental's chairman and chief executive officer. "We have been closely watching technology developments and are delighted to have teamed up with LiveTV to offer live television programming and communication to our customers."
Customers will be able to choose from a variety of quality programming from DIRECTV® including sports, news, weather, children's programming and general entertainment. The initial channel programming lineup offered through the inflight entertainment system is expected to include CBS, NBC, FOX News, CNN Headline News, ESPN, Animal Planet, The History Channel, Food Network, Nickelodeon, MTV and other popular channels. The inflight entertainment system will also offer a moving map and other stored informational and entertainment content. Continental will offer complimentary access to the system to all first-class customers. Economy-class customers will be able to access the system by paying a $6 access fee.
In addition, Continental will offer complimentary Wi-Fi connectivity services allowing customers to access e-mail and instant messaging subject to LiveTV being able to offer the service, which is still in the testing phase. Customers will be able to use the service with Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, BlackBerries and laptops to connect to work, friends and family via Yahoo!® Mail, Yahoo!® Messenger and BlackBerry e-mail and BlackBerry® Messenger services.
The new services will be installed on Continental's fleet of Boeing 737 New Generation aircraft, including the 737-700, -800, -900 and -900ER aircraft, and the Boeing 757-300.
Continental Airlines is the world's fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 2,900 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 144 domestic and 139 international destinations. More than 580 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines. With more than 45,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with Continental Express, carries approximately 69 million passengers per year. Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture. For more company information, visit continental.com.
LiveTV is the world's leading provider of live inflight entertainment and connectivity systems for commercial airlines, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of JetBlue. LiveTV is the provider of JetBlue's inflight entertainment service - - which was recently recognized by the World Airline Entertainment Association as the Best Overall inflight entertainment experience in the Americas. LiveTV's customers also include some of the most successful low-cost, low-fare airlines in the world including WestJet, Frontier, Virgin Blue and AirTran. Headquartered in Florida, LiveTV has installation and maintenance locations around the world to support the more than 500 aircraft currently equipped with its products. For a full listing of products, services and partners, or for more information, please visit www.livetv.net.

Last edited:
Nice deal for "Live TV." Counting all the planes in service and on order, that's 217 a/c when all is said and done. This is by far the largest deal for "Live TV."

I'm sure Kellner has looked at the Frontier numbers where they charge $5 to hook-up and liked what he saw. They have done very nicely holding their own against WN in Denver, and I believe the "Live TV" has alot to do with it. I would bet they got a sweatheart deal, as JBLU is hoping this is a the catalyst to garner more orders from other carriers. I think WestJet has a similar setup.

:pimp:​

Got to hand it to JetBlue. They own the market on "live tv". As hard as it probably was for Larry and company to make this deal, it needed to be done, especially the internet. Looks like it will initially only be on the 737NG's as well as just the 757-300's we fly domestically.

I think all the 777s, 757-200s, and 767s will have AVOD instead because LiveTV does not work across the Atlantic. I could be wrong though.

I think all the 777s, 757-200s, and 767s will have AVOD instead because LiveTV does not work across the Atlantic. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, we can't even get SATCOM higher than 84N so I think satellite TV would be a stretch (not to mention over the rest of the world). If I remember correctly even JB losses signal on routes to San Juan so they offer movies on demand (probably stored on a hard drive).

Latest resources

Back