opportunity to not only be safe, but to be efficient as well. Remember
that Professional statement I mentioned above. It was suggested by
someone that he would not take the chance that a lawyer may be seated in
row 13, as he was approaching the runway for takeoff with snow on his
wings. My answer to that is to make an announcement to the passengers
stating your intentions. Again, Safety and Common Sense prevails, but
knowledge is power.

-----------------------

And I thought all the Icahn-era TWA management pukes had retired... :rolleyes: TC

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

While I agreee that it would be nice to save the company a few bucks on de-icing costs, it only takes one crash to wipe out all of those potential savings, many times over.

You can easily look at the visible surface of your aircraft and make a relatively good judgement as to whether or not the white stuff is sticking to the surfaces that you CAN see. However, in no way shape or form can you make a good judgement as to whether or not the white stuff is sticking to the surfaces you CAN'T see.

One could argue that you could infer from what you are seeing on the wings, is also what's occuring on the other surfaces of your aircraft.

But I ask you this: Are you willing to bet not only your life, but the life of your crew and all of your passengers on that?

I'm not.

I once took an aircraft from a crew that had just brought it in from an outstation where they had been de-iced (or so they thought). Had my FO not been standing in the jetway when the aircraft pulled up and observed the bizzare behaivor of both the Captain and FO of that flight upon arrival, he would have never thought to ask the Flight Attendant what was going on. THANK GOD he did because she mentioned something about the crew saying that the plane was flying weird and they thought they might have and ice build up on the tail. Neither the Captain or the First Officer on that flight mentioned ANYTHING to my FO who was standing there the whole time. They both even bolted out the jetway door to apparently look at the tail after the passengers deplaned. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary they kept it to themselves. When I arrived at the aircraft and the FO told me about what he had witnessed and what the inbound FA had said, we asked to have the tail of the aircraft checked out by someone in a bucket truck. Sure enough there was about a quarter inch high ridge of ice exteding from the root of each side of the horizontal stab out towards the tip. The ice had formed on the top of the HS aft of the heated leading edge and apparently had been the cause of the unusual flight characteristics of the aircraft, especially upon landing. This airplane was perfectly clean on all surfaces with no indication that there was any kind of ice build up anywhere.

Fly safe but don't take things for granted.

Last edited:
My wife and oldest will be traveling to NYC in April. If any of you guys are flying and have a late spring snow flurry, I would appreciate the extra time and cost it takes to de-ice your plane. It may be herd mentality, but there's a few in that herd that are VERY special to me.

You don't want to de-ice? Cool. Get your @ss away from the desk, be a captain, and go fly. You have the option to pass the car wash if you choose.

And yeah...CAL guys...print, copy, and save that letter. You just might find it handy one day...

You never know when the FAA is watching, writing down tail numbers. I wouldn't want to be the guy who does things differently. Your ticket is on the line at all times. If I save the company a few grand in fluid, I do not benefit from that. If I get violated for "going my own way," I will definitely be at a loss. How many company's would back a captain up in a situation llike this?

He is correct about the herd mentality.....the FAA can write down tail numbers all day long. If your aircraft is clean....leave. If it isn't, get it cleaned off.....

Years back I got on a snow covered DC-9 in YYZ. I got up on the wing and with my hands moved the snow around. I told the Captain that it was covered in loose, flaky snow and with the 20 kt wind it should blow off. We loaded, taxiied out, and I went back to look. As we were taxiing down the taxiway, the snow peeled off clean as a whistle. Of course, it was like 18 degrees F. No need to go and have wet fluid put on the aircraft to help the snow stick.

Today, I don't think I would do the same thing. I would go to the car wash and have them use the air to blow it off. The new de-ice trucks have air flow to help clean the aircraft off. It works great for airframe ice you get on cloudy, non precipitation days.

A350

Of course, if that snow blew back into the engines and caused a power interuption and/or loss and you failed to make a safe climb (or worse), would that be YOUR fault. Additionally, if you're confident that snow cloud in your takeoff wasn't going to cause THAT problem, did you move ALL the snow "around". Was the top of the tailplane checked too ?

That surface is even MORE critical than the wing, being a thinner airfoil and asked to support more weight per area.

My guess is you didn't and advanced thrust on hope, not certainty.

Around ten years ago I visted my brother near Worcester, MA in January. Asked for a jumpseat on a BE-1900 for the morning departure. I was given a seat in the back. The airplanes had a couple of inches of fresh powdery snow on the wings. I saw the FO brush some away with his hands while walking around the aircraft. Then he came onboard, the door was closed, and we started up and began to taxi. I assumed we were going somewhere to get deiced. I was wrong. Next thing I knew we were rolling down the runway. I was nervous, but the snow did all blow off before we rotated.

The flight continued to La Guadia, and upon arriving I thanked the Captain for the ride. I wanted to ask him what the hell he was doing but decided not to in front of departing pax and the FO.

I agree with most everyone here. Sure, chances are the snow will blow off. But until the FAA approves of such a procedure, I believe the only option is to deice the aircraft prior to taking the runway.

Latest resources

Back