CAL&temp insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetjockey#1

I would like to hear from CAL new hires and ideas for temporary insurance. Which companies seem to give the best rate/deductible. Also, if anybody can pm me with the company option would be great. My sponsors.. have been there for so long, they don't even know what I am talking about. Sep. 6th is around the corner...

jetjockey#1 said:
I would like to hear from CAL new hires and ideas for temporary insurance. Which companies seem to give the best rate/deductible. Also, if anybody can pm me with the company option would be great. My sponsors.. have been there for so long, they don't even know what I am talking about. Sep. 6th is around the corner...

The company does not offer an "option." They give you some information about a website that shops insurers. Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a "gap" plan that varies by zip code. It is only good for short term. Houston rates are 50-75/month with a large deductible. Cobra rates are a bit high.

In my experience, most new-hires went with the short term insurance suggested by the company. Thats fine for most but I found a much better fit for me at www.ehealthinsurance.com

They are an online broker and I got what I wanted - a cheap insurance policy for a healthy individual with minimal coverage. Good luck.

Stay away from temporary insurance.

Only bad things will happen “If”...

And "If" does happen...you are screwed.

Go with the hassle of securing coverage that will take you to Medicare eligibility and then when you are covered by CAL drop it.

Later...:beer:

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Stay away from temporary insurance.

Only bad things will happen “If”...

And "If" does happen...you are screwed.

Go with the hassle of securing coverage that will take you to Medicare eligibility and then when you are covered by CAL drop it.

Later...:beer:

As an Insurance Agent I would be interested to find out why you are telling someone to stay away from temporary insurance. Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Portability or the lack thereof and developing a dreaded disease: It does happen. People get sick/injured and lose jobs that were promised because of a number of factors.

I have seen this happen a number of times in my 25 year in the busines and it is ugly and there is not a lot of help once you are on the other side of the fence.

Temporary insurance is very easy to secure when compared to the hassle of securing a major medical PPO or HMO plan that would cover a young plan participant until Medicare eligibility. This hassle IMO is nothing compared to the hassles of developing a sickness and or becoming injured or losing a once promised job while being protected by insurance which will only cover a participant for a limited or fixed amount of time.

We are all in the airlines business and a some of us almost lost a number of job offers a few days ago.

Counseling against temporary insurance while recommending a major medical plan is what my professional responsibility dictates and what my EOM coverage mandates.

After that it up to my client and if they still want temporary insurance I will not enroll them.

Others apparently disagree.
Good luck…:beer:

This is what I did. Cal will give a number of extended benefits administered by sam's club or you can even do it on the internet for temp insurance. I pay 110 roughly a month. If you have kids check your state, they may have a law that no child will be left without medical insurance. In Michigan I gave the state my new hire letter and broke down what I would be making my first year. I pay $5 dollars a month for both my kids and its 100% medical and dental.

Do not do cobra. If you need a more structured plan you still can get those fro about 300 a month family coverage if you perferr that.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Portability or the lack thereof and developing a dreaded disease: It does happen. People get sick/injured and lose jobs that were promised because of a number of factors.

If this pilot is indeed going to Continental then portibiliy is not an issue. He will be signing up for a group plan. If you are telling him that he needs an individual policy and to not take the CAL plan then you are encouraging everyone to not use their employee sponsered health care plan.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
I have seen this happen a number of times in my 25 year in the busines and it is ugly and there is not a lot of help once you are on the other side of the fence.

Again I really dont follow you here. He will be signing up for a group plan. Pre-existing conditions is not going to be a problem. Unless you are trying to tell him to stay away from the CAL sponsered plan.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Temporary insurance is very easy to secure when compared to the hassle of securing a major medical PPO or HMO plan that would cover a young plan participant until Medicare eligibility. This hassle IMO is nothing compared to the hassles of developing a sickness and or becoming injured or losing a once promised job while being protected by insurance which will only cover a participant for a limited or fixed amount of time.

Getting a standard Major Med is not that big of a deal. I had a late 20's female insured under Golden Rule/United Health care in less than 3 days. She had a few minor health issues but nothing else. True a temp policy is a joke compared to getting a standard major med but it's not that hard to get a decent major med policy. It is however more expensive if you are only going to use the insurance for a few months.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
We are all in the airlines business and a some of us almost lost a number of job offers a few days ago.

I am beginning to really think that you are against any company sponsered health coverage. Every job out there has the potential to be lost.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Counseling against temporary insurance while recommending a major medical plan is what my professional responsibility dictates and what my EOM coverage mandates.

I have a very very very hard time believing that you EOM coverage mandates that you do not sell temporary health insurance. I have never heard of that stipulation.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
After that it up to my client and if they still want temporary insurance I will not enroll them.

Good, send me the business.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Others apparently disagree.

You are correct.

At CAL you don't get medical insurance for the first 6 months of employment. Cal provides you with a number that you can call to get temp insurance through exdended benefits not associated with CAL. They may offer in your state or not. If not then you must go to the internet to find temp insurance based on your zip and state. For example there are no insurer agents for Minnesota through Extended Benefits. Once you come up on your six month you get medical benefits through CAL. There are about 30 + different plans to choose from including diferent insurance carriers like BCBS, Atnea (sp) United Heathcare, Etc...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back