• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not part of the Bedford fan club, but you have to hand it to the man- when he came to CHQ, it was a tiny SAAB operation - now look at it! Last year he was the 2nd highest paid airline CEO in the world, in terms of total earnings - second only to the Chairman of Emirates. He does ALOT of talking and nobody knows if it's just hot air or not, but you can't argue with his success!
Another thread talked about you guys having limited access to water (of all things), when you fly. The lack of health coverage for newhires and the fact that there is no pension for newhires, while the senior enjoy theirs, does not speak highly of your group (any way you look at it). Scope is all you have. While I would like to see you retain it, as that would mean career aspirations realized for many RJ pilots, your history says otherwise - beat your chests all you want!

Bedford isn't stupid. The upcoming negotiations have already been mapped out in the minds of your mngt and Bedford obviously has an inkling in what lies ahead (hopefully not).

Good luck.

I'm not part of the Bedford fan club, but you have to hand it to the man- when he came to CHQ, it was a tiny SAAB operation - now look at it! Last year he was the 2nd highest paid airline CEO in the world, in terms of total earnings - second only to the Chairman of Emirates. He does ALOT of talking and nobody knows if it's just hot air or not, but you can't argue with his success!
Another thread talked about you guys having limited access to water (of all things), when you fly. The lack of health coverage for newhires and the fact that there is no pension for newhires, while the senior enjoy theirs, does not speak highly of your group (any way you look at it). Scope is all you have. While I would like to see you retain it, as that would mean career aspirations realized for many RJ pilots, your history says otherwise - beat your chests all you want!

Bedford isn't stupid. The upcoming negotiations have already been mapped out in the minds of your mngt and Bedford obviously has an inkling in what lies ahead (hopefully not).

Good luck.
Just to correct a few of your statements:
1. I have never had issues getting water (large bottles) on the 737 or on the 777 (getting a blocker for the bathroom is another issue) so don’t believe everything you read on FI. There was a memo CLARIFYING the captains authority that was slightly different than what some of the FA's believed.
2. There is alternate health coverage that the company helps you out with in getting during training. [yes this sucks, we should all get it as soon as we get hired, but I look at what some of the other commercial airlines current health insurance(except SWA, theirs is very good) and I am not impressed]. I'm hoping that the health coverage does change and that it is offered to new hires with the next contract.
3. While it is true that new hires are not offered the Plan A retirement package, what company does still offer it? The plan B is now at 12 3/4% and will go up in the next contract.
4. Scope in NOT NEGOTIABLE.

Good luck.

Wow you sure know alot about an airline you don't even work for. I have never had a problem getting water on a flight, I get 12.75% of my salary into a fund that I control for my retirement(how much does Bedford give you), and yeah the insurance thing sucks, but after 6 months I get 100% BCBS PPO for 160/month for my soon to be family of 4. But the end all thing is our Scope will have a tough time changing, and I doubt you are in any negotiations seeing as we are at least 1.5-2yrs until a TA to even have a chance of you guys flying 170's for us.

I love how you guys just salivate over taking jobs away from other pilots, you do know that you are flying that airplane in the leftseat what I fly mine for in the right? We both should be making more in our respective seats but we can't because I have to deal with LCC's and large RJ operators doing the same job for less and you guys can't go higher because if you do someone else will come in and do it for cheaper during the next RFP. I don't know the answer to stop this slide but giving up our Scope will not help.

Last edited:
How about a source for that post? That is TOTAL BS that this is an internal memo. It's flamebait...

No one that I know wants to operate larger airplanes for CO (although management would like it). So, the real question is, are you guys going to cave collectively? Show us the way. We would all rather be on a majors' seniority list...

Everybody's a skeptic...:rolleyes:

[edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

Good luck.

Typical RAH pilot. Instead of talking about what they can do to improve their own QOL they brag about how much money their CEO makes. This is the how they measure their airline. Typical...

Thanks for the clarifications guys. Just to clarify the position of the majority of the RAH pilots: we don't want scope to fall (atleast that's the impression that I get), as it means that we would be stuck here longer (in theory). If you guys get pay raises and get 170/190s on property, which YOU will fly, that's great. If you get pay raises/better health coverage for newhires, that's great also.
But lets's be clear about something, if you do allow bigger/more RJs, someone WILL fly them - we would be morons not to want them on property here!
As for the growing at the expense of other pilot groups, the same can be said of any pilot group - especially yours! UAL, USAIR, DAL and NWA were forced to give concessions thru the BK courts .... were you? Clarify for all of us what happened, as I would like to know what happened to bring you to where you are now.

I like the fact that you guys are going to be flying 100 seat jets in 09 , wow I wonder which airline that will be for?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarifications guys. Just to clarify the position of the majority of the RAH pilots: we don't want scope to fall (atleast that's the impression that I get), as it means that we would be stuck here longer (in theory). If you guys get pay raises and get 170/190s on property, which YOU will fly, that's great. If you get pay raises/better health coverage for newhires, that's great also.
But lets's be clear about something, if you do allow bigger/more RJs, someone WILL fly them - we would be morons not to want them on property here!
As for the growing at the expense of other pilot groups, the same can be said of any pilot group - especially yours! UAL, USAIR, DAL and NWA were forced to give concessions thru the BK courts .... were you? Clarify for all of us what happened, as I would like to know what happened to bring you to where you are now.

You sir, are an idiot.

you do know that you are flying that airplane in the leftseat what I fly mine for in the right?
Speak for your self, a 19 year E190 captain makes less than I make (year 6 pay FO756). Although, he does make more than I make to Dead head in first class across the atlantic. So, If you go to their 16 year scale, then I make more than them while I am sleeping.:D

How many 16 to 19 year captains does CHQ have?

I agree though, we all need to make more.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back