Cal reserve pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
If your on reserve is it possible to ask to be put on top of the calling list so you will fly?

The A/B system got rid of request to fly/request min fly. If you really want to fly then bid A. A's are supposed to get called first and have the nine hour call out. You will have the lower guarantee and they will stop using you if they can when you get close to 72hrs. If you want the higher guarantee then bid B and call the schedulers and let them know you want to fly and are just minutes from the airport etc. They are supposed to go in order but things are done that benefit both sides sometimes.

KS

PBS is rumored in Jan???

I heard a rumor that Preferential Bidding System will be online in Jan timeframe? I'm guessing that system would change some reserve aspects quite a bit? As I understand PBS, it builds lines for individuals. Thus a senior lineholder with vacation wouldn't drop trips that touched vacation on a pre-written line, but instead a line would be built around the vacation, thus less trips end up in open time when the bidding process is over. Basically more efficient schedule writing for the company. Anyone with any nawledge on this at CAL?

bearcat said:
Rumor has it that the lines are easier to commute at IAH -VS- EWR. Cannot confirm this. (I'm still in training.) Are you in the guard? If so PM me.

In my opinion that would be correct. First of all remember IAH is far more senior than EWR or all equipment types. As far as commuteability on the 737 IAH is superior to EWR. Due to the location of IAH many of the pairing (trips) begin and end in the mid day time frame. The opposite is true in EWR many early starts and late finishes obviously not good for commuteabilty. However I believe the overall quality of the flying out of EWR is better.

a10hogplt said:
With that said, how do you qualify for the 9 hour call out when on reserve? If your saying i could hold a line after 3 or 4 months after ioe, do you think i could get the long call out right out of ioe? How does that work!

Thanks guys! I'm not an airline guy in my previous life so this is a quick learning curve for me.

Because things are moving so fast right now you will be able to hold a line on the 737 in EWR in three or four months. "A" reserve lines probably go more senior than "B". Again due to the rapid movement you will be a senior reserve in two or three months. You have to bid for an "A" reserve line and there are only so many of them, (I believe no more than 25% of the total reserve lines) just like you will bid for "B" reserve lines or regular lines. You seniority and what those above you bid will determine what you get awarded.

SoBeFlyer said:
I heard a rumor that Preferential Bidding System will be online in Jan timeframe? I'm guessing that system would change some reserve aspects quite a bit? As I understand PBS, it builds lines for individuals. Thus a senior lineholder with vacation wouldn't drop trips that touched vacation on a pre-written line, but instead a line would be built around the vacation, thus less trips end up in open time when the bidding process is over. Basically more efficient schedule writing for the company. Anyone with any nawledge on this at CAL?

I believe PBS will be a major change in how we do business. CAL ALPA said testing in CLE in Jan followed by the rest of the system shortly thereafter. They also said more than likely not fully implemented intil fall of 06.

You guys have some great posts, don't want to take over the post, but I have a side question. Getting the 757 does a new FO get typed (unrestricted 757-767) for international flying? Same question for Guam and is Guam only 737?

Thanks in advance, sorry didn't want a tangent

Yes. Every FO gets typed in whatever equipment he files. 737, 757/767, 777. Every FO gets a normal, unrestricted type. (not this "SIC" type that JetBlue made up)

..aaannd it is freezing in training, the 737 is all there is in Guam, and I HIGHLY recommend bringing a laptop. You will spend hours in a computer lab at subzero temps if you don't have one. The guys who have laptops all went back to their hotel rooms to do their required computer courses (and they can be extensive). Or you could wait until you're an employee the first week: there is a CO discount of some type if you buy a computer (not sure which brand it was). Some guys took advantage of that deal and came back for week 2 with a new laptop. Another piece of advice...on day 1 of class, bring your flight bag--as empty as possible. Or if you're military or don't have a bag, you could buy one at the hotel (there is a pilot shop downstairs with a decent selection).

Computer discount

I just read that there is a computer discount for CAL new hires? I'm planning on buying a laptop before starting training, does anyone know if there is a discount?

JetsRforKids said:
I just read that there is a computer discount for CAL new hires? I'm planning on buying a laptop before starting training, does anyone know if there is a discount?

We get discounts on Apple, Dell, and HP...

Latest resources

Back