CAL newhire vs. UAL furloughee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Powda5

Are there any pilots who are in the predicament of being a CO newhire and a junior UAL furloughee? I am wondering what you plan on when UAL recalls.... Most likely you will be nearing 2nd year CO pay and have a bunch of newhires behind you at CO when you get the call to come back.

Also, how does the retirement forecast at CO compare with that of UAL in terms of moving up and seniority if you stay at either airline?

I'm thinking that it would be a very bad mistake indeed to leave CO at this point. I made the mistake of turning down a class at CO to stay with AA/TWA because my ex-wife developed a medical condition and needed health insurance from the time I interviewed to the time I was to start class. At that point in time, CO didn't offer it to newhires for 6 months.

Despite having 7 years of seniority with TWA, as a result of the staple I've already spent 3 years on the street at AA and probably won't be recalled for another 3-4 years. If I had started over at CO, I probably would have been back flying mainline a year or two ago.

Continental has some fantastic people working for it and I have no doubt they will do well in the future.

Last edited:
Forget UAL. There's a alot of sunshine being blown up ********* over there. Wait until the nutjobs running Iran start threatening the oil flow and watch oil go to $100 a barrel. At least with CO, you'll have a job a little longer.

Powda5 said:
Also, how does the retirement forecast at CO compare with that of UAL in terms of moving up and seniority if you stay at either airline?

CAL has a lot better progression due to retirements than UAL.

Have you already taken a bypass or have they even gotten to you the first time in the recall process? Take the bypass on the first pass; you will likely want to stay at CAL ... CAL sounds like a better choice than UAL.

Go with the Audience recommendation and stay with CO. UAL is crap and the future will only be bleak there. Besides they hired a bunch of dud's in the 80's that are still there and will always be above you.

hoover said:
Ironic isn't it?

When I was looking for a job at a major, I had CAL higher on my list than UAL due to the retirements; I weighted my choices heavily toward retirements. I liked USAirways, Northwest, CAL, and Delta.
Since UAL hired me first, I stopped looking for a better job. Northwest and Delta called for interviews; I almost jumped to Northwest, but then decided that snow country just didn't appeal to me.
I've been able to work near full time in the Reserves since being furloughed in '02 so I haven't gone out of my way to seek another airline job. I'll take the UAL recall and stay on mil leave for another couple of years; no desire to return before they start newhire classes.

You never know if you've made the right decision until you hit age 60 (or whatever the retirement age is in another 15 years). Even then, you'll probably look at what ended up being the best path and remember why you didn't want to work for that airline when you got hired by a major.

Applemac,

Good luck to you.

Clambake
TWA 1996 hire
AA 2003 Furlough

Latest resources

Back