Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboycpa

Hey all,

Who do you newhires recommend for interview consultation (and why?)? I've heard Judy Tarver at Pilot Counseling and Emerald Coast are great, but is one better than the other for CAL-interviews?

I've heard that CALs MD-80 sim flew it's last interview last month and all future interviews are going to be one of the 737 sims. Given that change, who is the best sim prep?

thanks,
fb

You don't need an interview prep or a sim prep for that matter. There is plenty of gouge out there for both and the interview is just getting to know you and your personality by telling a few stories. No one can prepare you for that more than you can. Pilots are interviewing you, just be yourself. Save the money for you first year, you will need it.

Some people might say you don't need it. But, just think about this for one second. If you don't get the job, are you going to kick yourself for not preping? if the answer is yes, spend the money and prep yourself, if the answer is no, take your chances. I prep with AIRINC in ATL, for my interview, and it was great. It's amazing how much stuff there is to an interview. I also bought a full motion ride at Alteon DFW, but now we are using the 73-300, 500/NG. I was extremely well prepared and I do not regret spending the money.

It all depends on how much this job means to you. If CAL is it, well spend the money, if CAL is your backup take your chances, and best of luck to you.

Whatever you do, remember, the money you spend on preps is tax deductible.

But, just think about this for one second. If you don't get the job, are you going to kick yourself for not preping? if the answer is yes, spend the money and prep yourself, if the answer is no, take your chances.

This is why I did it. It gave me the confidence knowing I did everything possible to prep myself. It paid off as quite a few fellow COEX pref interviewers had trouble with the sim and had to retake it. If you have been flying EFIS it can be challenging to transistion to round dials. You are not given any time for warm up.

I did not do a personal interview prep. The interview was very relaxed and straight forward. The main thing is to have about 6 or 7 stories from your flying past to talk about.

However, I did the sim prep and would highly recomend it. They are doing the sims in the 737 now. It is a very good feeling, stepping into the sim and knowing you have flown the profile twice the day before.

I recomend calling Ray Brendle at crew pilot training. He is retired Continental. When they were using the 80, you did your sim prep in the actual sim that you used the next day for the interview. I'm not sure how he does it now that they took away the 80 sim.

http://www.crewpilottraining.com/simprep.html

I interviewed in 01, and did a interview prep. Like everyone else I wanted to be on my A game.. The company was in Denver and it was not Cage, I can't remember the name, it was A TOTAL WASTE of my money!! And they had the nerve to call me after my interview and want the gouge. My response was I will give it to you for the same price I paid you for the prep. As far as a sim prep, I was current on the round dial and felt good about going without. But if you have not seen round dials in a while I would strongly suggest getting up to speed with a prep... Just my $.02

Sim prep- yes. Interview prep- probably not.

Just make sure you get a haircut, get a suit that wasn't last worn during the 1st Bush administration, and practice with someone a bit on answering questions and get rid of whatever weird tics you have. (We all do them; mine's rocking back and forth in the chair and tapping)

Good luck!

I need to buy an old 737 sim and open up a CAL interview prep course...

I did not do a personal interview prep. The interview was very relaxed and straight forward. The main thing is to have about 6 or 7 stories from your flying past to talk about.

However, I did the sim prep and would highly recomend it. They are doing the sims in the 737 now. It is a very good feeling, stepping into the sim and knowing you have flown the profile twice the day before.

I recomend calling Ray Brendle at crew pilot training. He is retired Continental. When they were using the 80, you did your sim prep in the actual sim that you used the next day for the interview. I'm not sure how he does it now that they took away the 80 sim.

http://www.crewpilottraining.com/simprep.html

Thanks for the insight. This is what I was looking for. Hopefully, CAL will call me!

regards,
fb

I'd do the sim prep without a doubt. Interview prep.....depends how you feel being interviewed. If you get nervous and lose your thoughts...then yes. I didn't do the interview prep and found it very relaxing. Just depends.....

Latest resources

Back