Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/sto...-miss.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Continental Plunges After Metric Miss
By Ted Reed 07/02/10 - 04:02 PM EDT1 CommentAdd Comment

Stock quotes in this article: CAL , UAUA , DAL , LCC , LUV
HOUSTON (TheStreet) -- Shares in Continental(CAL) led the airline industry down Friday after the carrier said its unit revenue in June was lower than analysts had estimated.

Continental's revenue per available seat mile (RASM) is one of the industry's most closely watched indicators because historically, Continental has been one of the few carriers to report RASM as part of its monthly traffic report. It remains the first to report RASM for June.

The increase in Continental RASM came in between 21% and 22% the airline said, while analysts had estimated 23% to 26%. Shortly before the close, stock in both Continental and proposed merger partner United(UAUA) was down about 9%. Continental was trading at $20.27, down $1.89. United was trading at $18.82, down $1.90. Meanwhile, shares in Delta(DAL) were down 64 cents to $11.09.

In a report Friday, CRT Capital Group Mike Derchin wrote, "while a very strong result, June was lower than our forecast of 23-24% growth and slightly below [Continental's] 23.4% May PRASM increase." Derchin estimated that Continental's yield, or revenue per revenue passenger mile, rose by 19%, below the 20% he had expected.

Meanwhile, JP Morgan analyst Jamie Baker said he had estimated 25% for Continental RASM. When the number came in low, he reduced his second quarter earnings estimate for the carrier to $1.52 from $1.70. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are estimating $1.51.

Baker cautioned that "the knee-jerk reaction from some may be to interpret CAL's 'miss' as evidence of slackening demand," a thesis that he does not accept. Recent quarterly guidance from the big three carriers "broadly topped expectations at the time," he said. Moreover, high estimates may have reflected "overzealous sell-side expectations," including, Baker said, his own.

In the coming week, Baker expects reports of RASM growth of 30% at United, 25% at Southwest(LUV) and 20% at US Airways(LCC).

USAIr is taking over, USAPA is going to deliver an industry leading contract. We are united on the east and will move the ball forward so the rest of you can follow. Parity +1% or we get the LOA93 snap back arbitration award. Either way, things are looking good at AAA.
I'm sorry cal missed the RASM. Maybe next quarter will be better.

USAIr is taking over, USAPA is going to deliver an industry leading contract. We are united on the east and will move the ball forward so the rest of you can follow. Parity +1% or we get the LOA93 snap back arbitration award. Either way, things are looking good at AAA.

I take a 23%-24% increase in RASM any day.

What is USAIR's long term plan for the future? Seriously, I hope you guys do get an industry leading contract like you had for years in the 90's. But on the operations front, what is the plan? Where is the growth? Where is Parker taking the airline in the next decade? CAL/UAL will be getting 787's and growing the IAH hub and strengthening the EWR/IAD hubs with more capacity to Europe and new service to Africa while joining in on the Pacific race in the new, liberalized Trans-Pacific market with American and Delta. 747's will slowly be replaced with 777-300ER's and later the 787-900/1000's and an order for 100 seat jets is on the horizon for 2012-2013. Those are things that are going to happen at CAL/UAL in the next 5 years whether or not we meet the projected RASM #'s for June 2010 or not.
I admit I don't follow USAIR news all that closely so if I've missed some news related to future plans for the airline, please correct me. I have friends at Delta and they can rattle off a long list of plans their carrier has for fleet growth and route expansion and things at AA will most likely be getting better as it answers the 2 mega-mergers with growth from within(AA already has the hubs in the right locations and plenty of route authority without needing a merger partner). Continental, in my opinion, needed a merger partner with a West Coast presence and a strong hub structure in the top 10 markets. UAL is that perfect fit. UAL needed to partner with a healthy airline with a new fleet and aircraft orders/options led by a management team that wants to be in the airline business. I hope they are getting what they needed out of this. Time will tell.

IAHERJ

Latest resources

Back