• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scrapdog: Where exactly did your so call friends get tons of combat experience in the air. Flying CAP dont mean squat if you never engage. Please don't dishonor those who have had actual combat experience by being engaged in a dogfight, had missles locked on them, got shot at. Flying around in circles and drooping a 500lb dont count in my book unless the above happened.

Scrapdog: Where exactly did your so call friends get tons of combat experience in the air. Flying CAP dont mean squat if you never engage. Please don't dishonor those who have had actual combat experience by being engaged in a dogfight, had missles locked on them, got shot at. Flying around in circles and drooping a 500lb dont count in my book unless the above happened.

My "so call" friends...hmm, here you go:

3 LTC's in my unit flew multiple combat sorties in Desert Storm with stories that'll make your jaw drop...being engaged by multiple SAM's and strafing Iraqi trucks on the highway of hell out of Baghdad.

2 LTC's flew in the Kosovo conflict in 96 with multiple combat sorties and support missions.

Most of my squadron (prior to my arrival) flew in OIF in the summer of '03. Three individuals in particular dropped multiple times involving CAS sorties with numerous troops in contact situations...all great aviators and patriots.

For me - I was flying the F-15 at the time so I never deployed over to the Middle East (and never have I claimed I did). However, I've missed 2 seperate Christmas's with my family to "bore holes in the sky" flying Noble Eagle over DC and Camp David to provide Homeland Defense. And even though I was only capping (sorry I know that's a dishonor in your eyes and doesn't fit your standards of service) for 5 hour sorties at a time for 3 months stints, I was very proud to be serving my country and protecting the President and his family. And since I was flying the F-15 at the time, I never had the capability to "droop" a bomb at that particular time.

As far as an actual dogfight - the last time that happened where merges were occuring in WVR was Desert Storm. And my old squadron commander did have two Mig Kills from that in an F-15. Hopefully that'll fit your mighty standards.

Just as a side note - when and where have you served? And if so, I'd love to hear about your dogfights and your Mig Kills.

Last edited:
My "so call" friends...hmm, here you go:

3 LTC's in my unit flew multiple combat sorties in Desert Storm with stories that'll make your jaw drop...being engaged by multiple SAM's and strafing Iraqi trucks on the highway of hell out of Baghdad.

2 LTC's flew in the Kosovo conflict in 96 with multiple combat sorties and support missions.

Most of my squadron (prior to my arrival) flew in OIF in the summer of '03. Three individuals in particular dropped multiple times involving CAS sorties with numerous troops in contact situations...all great aviators and patriots.

For me - I was flying the F-15 at the time so I never deployed over to the Middle East (and never have I claimed I did). However, I've missed 2 seperate Christmas's with my family to "bore holes in the sky" flying Noble Eagle over DC and Camp David to provide Homeland Defense. And even though I was only capping (sorry I know that's a dishonor in your eyes and doesn't fit your standards of service) for 5 hour sorties at a time for 3 months stints, I was very proud to be serving my country and protecting the President and his family. And since I was flying the F-15 at the time, I never had the capability to "droop" a bomb at that particular time.

As far as an actual dogfight - the last time that happened where merges were occuring in WVR was Desert Storm. And my old squadron commander did have two Mig Kills from that in an F-15. Hopefully that'll fit your mighty standards.

Just as a side note - when and where have you served? And if so, I'd love to hear about your dogfights and your Mig Kills.

Captain Zero, I gotta say... You earned that one!

On the CAL application site is there a section for references that work at CAL? I have two friends that are F/O's and I would like to use them if possible; or do the actual references have to call "someone" to help you out?

On the CAL application site is there a section for references that work at CAL? I have two friends that are F/O's and I would like to use them if possible; or do the actual references have to call "someone" to help you out?

Good question - I wondered the same thing. My peer who flew with me in the Air Nat'l Guard is a 756 FO out of EWR. He wrote me a recommendation but also went personally to the CP in Houston and "vouched" for me. That got me into the "short" stack, or to be called stack. It still took about 10-11 months from the time he talked to the CP, but eventually I got the call for the interview and fortunately enough I got the job. I'm excited - looking forward to a good career with CAL.

So, in a nutshell - I'm pretty sure the guy has to talk to someone in mgt or the CP personally and vouch for you before the wheels start turning.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back