CAL hiring min. times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AJL5236

What is the average time that a CAL new hire has? What about extremes. Has anyone been hired with the published minimums? Thanks

go to aviationinterviews.com and look at what peoples times look like.

Most people with low time are Military pilots, or interns, golden children etc. Without some serious hook ups the published mins wont do much. Good luck though. Cant hurt to apply.

My class had a few military guys and a couple former 121 FO's who had interned. Not sure what the times were like but one guy said his unit flies a MINIMUM of 100 hours per year -- I get the idea they fly more if they want to.

The bulk of the class were former 121 CAs with between 4-6 years in the left seat. Most averaged about 800 hours per year of PIC time. I'm sure the 121 FO's above were similar -- just not PIC time.

Last edited:
Getting on at CAL now is 110% about who you know. They have over 15,000 apps on file from what I've heard. Getting an interview there, regardless of time, is about somebody that works there going into the chief pilot's office and pushing to get you in. It's all, totally, completely about who you know. From what I gather, they are no longer taking anyone w/o multi-turbine PIC. The 'unofficial' min is 500 hours. They don't care what it's in (Citation or B-747), they just want PIC time. If you have that, then it's just simply about getting an internal push to get you an interview.

All this is secondhand knowledge, but this is what I understand how it's going now. Background doesn't matter, quals only matter a little bit. It's all about who you know.

Not true!! A friend of mine got an interview in Nov with NO multi-turbine PIC. It's all who you know.......

Latest resources

Back