CAL Future....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4got2flare

Was sent to me through Google email search engine... A little good news in a week of bad.

Houston-based Continental Airlines is considering flights to Dubai, Rome, Milan and Madrid once it has taken delivery of next-generation aircraft in 2009.
Larry Kellner, Continental Chairman and Chief Executive, told the Houston Chronicle that the four destinations are top of the list of potential routes once a fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners are delivered.
He explained that 25 of the planes will arrive in Houston between 2009 and 2013, which will make it easier for the carrier to offer international flights from the city. "The 787 is going to allow us to do things from Houston. The future is bright for Houston for international travel."

The Continental representative was speaking following the airline's announcement that it hopes to increase capacity by 2-3 percent next year with flights to London Heathrow from Newark and Houston.

© Adfero Ltd

Happy Landings Everyone and Happy Holidays!

There is a rumor floating around that because the 787 delivery will be delayed to CAL, Boeing has found 3 777s to redirect to CAL in 2009. These come from another buyer who is reshuffling their own delivery schedule.

Also a rumor floating around the training center that after January the new hire classes will stop. (due to the change in ret. age)

Just went through recurrent this weekend. I was told by two instructors that hiring will slow but not stop. They plan to rotate between 12 and 8 newhires every tuesday. 12 one week, 8 the next week and so on. This is a loss of 24 newhires per month.

Also a rumor floating around the training center that after January the new hire classes will stop. (due to the change in ret. age)

Not going to stop, just slow. The company is evaluating the age 65 rule by postponing the system bid back to it's original date of mid January. We will see how the 65 rule affects the CAL pilots when the new system bid numbers come out.

I was just down in the sim building yesterday... The instructor was getting ready to get sent back to the line (great guy btw BH). It sounds like that was due to the cutback in training...

That being said the Company has no clue what so ever how its going to play out... I think they are still trying to figure out if they like the change or not.

kind of on the same subject.....

could the slow down be first signs of the end of this hiring cycle?

kind of on the same subject.....

could the slow down be first signs of the end of this hiring cycle?

It's not the end but it will definitely slow. We will have some growth but here was the retirement numbers for the next 5 years.

2008 = 193
2009 = 200
2010 = 190
2011 = 207
2012 = 211.

I bet about 30% of those people will retire anyway.

It's not the end but it will definitely slow. We will have some growth but here was the retirement numbers for the next 5 years.

2008 = 193
2009 = 200
2010 = 190
2011 = 207
2012 = 211.

I bet about 30% of those people will retire anyway.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 75% will retire. I really don't think you will see to many folks wanting to hang around for an extra +/- 5 years, at least at CAL.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 75% will retire. I really don't think you will see to many folks wanting to hang around for an extra +/- 5 years, at least at CAL.

I hope you're right. I'm leaning more toward what Uniform Shop thought, with one exception: I think 30% will leave before 65 but I think 90% will stay at least 2 years past 60.

It's going to be unpleasant for those of us with no real lump sum money to watch these guys hang on and let those dollars evaporate.

Latest resources

Back