Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

widespreadpanic

Livin' The Moon Time
How easy is the commute to a CAL base from FL?

Which base has the easiest commute?

I know it's FL but just wanted to know.

WP

widespreadpanic said:
How easy is the commute to a CAL base from FL?

Which base has the easiest commute?

I know it's FL but just wanted to know.

WP

Where in FL? I'd assume (and this is just a guess) that the "easiest" (if there is such a word for FL commuting) commute would be up to EWR just because of the number of flights to the area (EWR and LGA/JFK if you HAD to get up there). Of course, this would depend on whether you are commuting out of Gainesville or Ft. Lauderdale/PBI/MIA area.

I don't think IAH or CLE has the frequency of flights (both CAL and offline) that the NYC area has.

I used to do MCO-CLE and never had any trouble. I work for CommutAir which flies as CAL Connection. We could sit in the cockpit but were lower priority than Mainline or XJT. In the year and a half I did it (stopped commuting in Sept '04), I only ran into other jumpseaters two times. One was a mainline guy going to CLE. Fortunately it was a 735 which had two jumpseats. The other time was an XJT guy going on vacation from CLE to MCO. He got the cockpit jumpseat on the 9:05am flight, and I was able to catch the 9:50am flight. I stressed about it a lot, but never missed a trip. Obviously being mainline, it would be a little bit easier.

I tried TPA a few times but gave up on it. CAL has a large reservation center in the area which leads to a ton of last minute non-revvers, and there are a few more guys who did the TPA-CLE commute than did from MCO.

I never tried EWR or IAH, but the gate agents in both TPA and MCO said they get a ton of mainline guys on those flight.

If I were ever to be so lucky to get on with CAL, I wouldn't hesitate to do MCO-CLE, but others I wouldn't be eager to do.

Latest resources

Back